Is this motherboard bad?

adanic

I've ordered the Vortex Alpha from the Black Friday deal and out of curiosity I've looked up the motherboard and not heard great things about it as its a budget Motherboard.
What are your thoughts on it for this build? Also do motherboards even affect performance?

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've ordered the Vortex Alpha from the Black Friday deal and out of curiosity I've looked up the motherboard and not heard great things about it as its a budget Motherboard.
What are your thoughts on it for this build? Also do motherboards even affect performance?

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 UD: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

It’s a great motherboard. Motherboards have pretty much zero impact on performance, they’re all about connectivity.

The only time a mobo would offer performance gains would be with extreme overclocking, but those motherboards are really designed for custom liquid loops or LN2 setups. That motherboard is perfectly fine for such a build.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Also, it's a Z390 motherboard. It's a little bit like saying your 10 bedroom mansion is a budget 10 bedroom mansion because it didn't come with a pool. Well, not quite, there are obviously £250 motherboards out there with a lot more features than this ~£120 motherboard, and it is one of the least expensive Z390s. But it's still Z390 - and the VRMs are actually okay even for running the 9900k, compared to some other Z390 boards where you might actually want to avoid the 9900k on them

The Gigabyte Z390 UD is the only sub-$150 Z390 motherboard that can run with 9900K fully unleashed without suffering VRM throttling.
https://www.techspot.com/bestof/intel-z390-motherboards/

And you're only running a 9700k on it too.

The criticism of it you will hear is mainly from enthusiast overclockers who would be looking at £200 motherboards - as above.

adanic

OK brilliant, thank you for explaining. I don't know too much about motherboards. Yeah I won't be looking to do any overclocking anyway as I have no idea how to overclock so i guess ill be all good then! It was a few youtubers complaining (explaining why with words I didn't understand). I was worried about throttling. reassuring that that won't be a problem!