I'm new to the forum so Hi to all!
I recently purchased a new build Desktop PC as follows:

Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-8500 (3.0GHz) 9MB Cache
ASUS® PRIME B360M-A
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060
WIRELESS CARD
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
No DVD/CD Drive.

The system was booted up for the first time successfully, but by someone other than myself so I want to do a factory reset so it puts it back to 'Out of the box' state.
I want to make sure the initial setup is the way I want it.
I'm not worried about any files being deleted as there aren't any. The computer has only been used once!
What I am worried about is losing any drivers or anything thats installed at build, like Windows 10 for example.

Any help would be much appreciated!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm new to the forum so Hi to all!
I recently purchased a new build Desktop PC as follows:

Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-8500 (3.0GHz) 9MB Cache
ASUS® PRIME B360M-A
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060
WIRELESS CARD
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
No DVD/CD Drive.

The system was booted up for the first time successfully, but by someone other than myself so I want to do a factory reset so it puts it back to 'Out of the box' state.
I want to make sure the initial setup is the way I want it.
I'm not worried about any files being deleted as there aren't any. The computer has only been used once!
What I am worried about is losing any drivers or anything thats installed at build, like Windows 10 for example.

Any help would be much appreciated!

If you go to settings, update and security, Recovery, reset this pc, remove everything, that will basically reinstall windows from scratch, but you will have to reinstall drivers (although windows should take care of 99% of them if not all of them)
If you're worried about drivers then just select the "keep my files" option.

Evelyn

Simple as that.
So re drivers, I was thinking the graphics card mainly, and also anything to do with Asus.
Would Windows ask for a key ? as I don't think I have one. Windows was pre installed.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Simple as that.
So re drivers, I was thinking the graphics card mainly, and also anything to do with Asus.
Would Windows ask for a key ? as I don't think I have one. Windows was pre installed.

The windows key is actually embedded in your bios, so it will automatically read it whenever you reinstall windows, but in this case I don’t think it requires one anyway.

For drivers, what are your full specs? Then I can link you to the relevant websites. Windows 10 is awfully clever at finding necessary drivers normally, but it doesn’t hurt to have backups just in case.

Evelyn

Yeah..I thought the key must be automatically read.
I'll have a look for drivers, and take backups if I find any.
Then give it a go.
Thanks for your help and I'll let you know how it went.

Evelyn

Hello and Happy New Year!
Well I tried the reset and it all went fine. No problems at all!
I do have one niggling problem tho...When I plug my headphones (microphone built into the headset) into the front/top socket, I get sound but can't get the microphone to work. I don't own a separate microphone to plug into the pink socket on the back of the computer. Interestingly, when I borrowed a friends headset with a USB connector, the microphone worked. Any ideas?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello and Happy New Year!
Well I tried the reset and it all went fine. No problems at all!
I do have one niggling problem tho...When I plug my headphones (microphone built into the headset) into the front/top socket, I get sound but can't get the microphone to work. I don't own a separate microphone to plug into the pink socket on the back of the computer. Interestingly, when I borrowed a friends headset with a USB connector, the microphone worked. Any ideas?

What make and model of headset is it? If it's specifically a PC headset, there will be an adapter to split the Mic.

If it's not a PC headset and it's an apple headset or mobile headset, that won't work for the mic on the PC.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi
The headset is Plantronics RIG 500 Pro.

Interesting, it doesn't seem to have a mic splitter.

Have you tried it out of the motherboard headphone jack?

In my experience it's only really mobile devices that support a 3pin audio jack (usual is 2 pin, 3rd pin is for Mic). I'm not sure it's going to work in the PC without some kind of audio/mic splitter so you can plug the mic in separately to the pink port on the motherboard.

I would personally return it, it's not very good that they offer such a non-standard connector without any suitable converter cables. I would personally choose a good USB headset if it's just for PC.

Evelyn

Thanks for that info.
I reckon I'll just get a splitter as it seems the easiest thing to do.
In Windows 10, is there an easy way to check the mic is working i.e. without logging onto Skype or 'game chat' and making a fool of myself!