Directx 9 2010 distro failing to install on win 10

Gus

Bronze Level Poster
I have gone through all the known fixes I could find one after another tonight after trying to install it for older games and failing each time, so last chance before I just install win7 on this new pc of mine, so what haven't I tried?

This is on the first user account on win10 Pro so already admin by default, even so tried the usual of Run as admin, plus that with and without in compatibility mode for win7. Only things installed after it was it delivered was 3dmark / Steam / Fallout 4 / Warframe

CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 200R COMPACT GAMING CASE
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.35GHz/20MB CACHE/AM4)
Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2933MHz ~ (2 x 8GB)
8GB ASUS DUAL GEFORCE RTX 2080 OC - HDMI, DP
500GB Samsung 860 2.5" EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 3.5" SSHD
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

Tried an older version of DX9 a or b variant
Tried the full developers kit from 2010
Tried un-installing my 2080 to default windows drivers as some got DX to install that way
Tried a regedit to remove it from \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX and reinstall after a reboot

every single time the logs gave same error

extract from DirectX.log
Code:
12/09/18 01:29:50: dxupdate: Extracted file C:\Users\oping\AppData\Local\Temp\DX903C.tmp\microsoft.directx.xml from cab
12/09/18 01:29:50: dxupdate: CMDXInstall::Install(): Microsoft.DirectX
12/09/18 01:29:50: dxupdate: CMDXInstall::Install(): InstallAssembly() failed, error = 0x80070005.
12/09/18 01:29:50: dxupdate: CMDXInstall::Install(): Unable to install Microsoft.DirectX.dll.
12/09/18 01:29:50: dxupdate: DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn(): MDXInstall::Install() failed.
12/09/18 01:29:51: dsetup32: CSetup::InstallPlugIn(): DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn() failed.
12/09/18 01:29:51: dsetup32: CSetup::SetupForDirectX(): InstallPlugIn() failed.
12/09/18 01:29:51: dsetup32: start finalizing: phase: 256 - 256, total: 0 - 27
12/09/18 01:29:51: DXSetup: DSetupCallback(): Phase = 3, Steps = 0
12/09/18 01:29:51: dsetup32: Installation ended with value -9 = Internal or unsupported error
12/09/18 01:29:53: DXSetup: WM_APP_ENDINSTALL
12/09/18 01:29:53: DXSetup: ~CDXWSetup()

extract from DXError.log

Code:
[12/09/18 01:29:50] module: dxupdate(Mar 30 2011), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 6637, function: CMDXInstall::Install

Failed API:		InstallAssembly()
    Error:		(0x80070005) - Access is denied.

Unable to install Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll.

--------------------
[12/09/18 01:29:50] module: dxupdate(Mar 30 2011), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 2165, function: ExecuteCab

MDXInstall::Install() failed.

--------------------
[12/09/18 01:29:50] module: dxupdate(Mar 30 2011), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 5776, function: DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn

ExecuteCab() failed.

--------------------
[12/09/18 01:29:50] module: dxupdate(Mar 30 2011), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 6637, function: CMDXInstall::Install

Failed API:		InstallAssembly()
    Error:		(0x80070005) - Access is denied.

Unable to install Microsoft.DirectX.dll.

--------------------
[12/09/18 01:29:50] module: dxupdate(Mar 30 2011), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 5796, function: DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn

MDXInstall::Install() failed.

--------------------
[12/09/18 01:29:50] module: dsetup32(Mar 30 2011), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 280, function: CSetup::InstallPlugIn

DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
[12/09/18 01:29:51] module: dsetup32(Mar 30 2011), file: setup.cpp, line: 1727, function: CSetup::SetupForDirectX

InstallPlugIn() failed.

Gus

Bronze Level Poster
@spyder yep just tried it with same results, access denied in the logs using either the web or standalone installer, went point of adding each exe as well.
@ubuysa already been through that one and tried everything

Fyi the game is the steam fallout 4 and various other older games on steam that require DX9 to work, might have to dual boot and hope I can get it fixed, but SSD space with 2 OS is at a premium with modern games needing 80gig+

Gus

Bronze Level Poster
Just setup a local admin account instead of the MS windows account login trying all of above with no change, this is getting frustrating as I wanted win10 to be future proof for games that might require DX12 as well as Dx9, ok theres not many DX12 games atm but so close to nuking 10 and going to 7 instead, I do have the DVD to reinstall 10

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just setup a local admin account instead of the MS windows account login trying all of above with no change, this is getting frustrating as I wanted win10 to be future proof for games that might require DX12 as well as Dx9, ok theres not many DX12 games atm but so close to nuking 10 and going to 7 instead, I do have the DVD to reinstall 10

Just for info, windows 10 will work fine with dx9 games, I’ve got quite a few installed without any issue, but all mine are installed though steam which updates the installers to be compatible with modern os.

Gus

Bronze Level Poster
yep they run if Dx9 is installed but it wont install for me, it is always access denied even via the games auto installer, so I tried all above and wasted £110 on win10 So nuke time and install 7

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
yep they run if Dx9 is installed but it wont install for me, it is always access denied even via the games auto installer, so I tried all above and wasted £110 on win10 So nuke time and install 7

That’s what I’m saying though, it’s not a fault with windows 10 but with your configuration.

Rakk

The Awesome

DX9 can be installed onto Win10, in fact I did it last week in a vague attempt to fix a problem with the game I play (it didn't help as it happened) and it did definitely install.
I got it from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8109, though I thought that may have been pointed to in the post ubuysa pointed to (except mines the en-gb link version rather than the en-us version)

Gus

Bronze Level Poster
So round about fix maybe and issue for PCS, I tried installing win7 from DVD but no matter what during installing it the USB 2 ports failed to see my kb/mouse, oh for a single ps2 port. So went reinstall route of win10 with the DVD I ordered with it, then straight after that fresh install I tried a DX9 install and it worked.

Maybe the install order of DX9 is an issue if win10 is fully patched or no
Or guessing PCS use a image to mass install win10 and its missing a setting or possibly it is corrupt, or it needs refresh and DX9 added from a fresh install then fully patch it and make a new install image

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So round about fix maybe and issue for PCS, I tried installing win7 from DVD but no matter what during installing it the USB 2 ports failed to see my kb/mouse, oh for a single ps2 port. So went reinstall route of win10 with the DVD I ordered with it, then straight after that fresh install I tried a DX9 install and it worked.

Maybe the install order of DX9 is an issue if win10 is fully patched or no
Or guessing PCS use a image to mass install win10 and its missing a setting or possibly it is corrupt, or it needs refresh and DX9 added from a fresh install then fully patch it and make a new install image

There was definitely something borked with the win 10 installation, reinstall definitely easiest solution. I do believe they roll out windows installations via sccm and we had a user recently who’s account had somehow been locked to a domain and his profile wasn’t administrator. Reinstall there was simplest solution also.

Maybe worth emailing them just to let them know you didn’t have rights under your profile to install it.

Last edited:

Gus

Bronze Level Poster
yep was on my todo list then had the joys of nvidia drivers not installing after a fresh install, too fresh going by what I found no matter what I tried they wouldn't install always reported no compatible device, eventually fixed that by running a win10 update from the DVD which triggered the windows assistant and forced a full update

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I mean I'm glad it's sorted and I've not taken the time to look through the external links, but did you ever try right-clicking the installer and using Run as Administrator?

Even logging in as a user with local administrator rights doesn't necessarily automatically grant all of those rights due to UAC.

Just one for future users to try.

Suspect something was wrong with file permissions somewhere, hence the reinstall working as it'll have simply reset them.