new to win10 and lesson learnt

Gus

Bronze Level Poster
Had to reinstall my win10 on a fresh bought PCS PC due to issues with DX9 not installing and chose the quick option of not getting the windows updates first. The lesson I should have know was to allow it to fully update during the install and not use the quicker install or driver problems arise, eg couldn't install any GPU drivers for my 2080 or driver for the wifi card and 3 hours wasted trying googled fixes. So re-ran the install from the DVD and it fixed the problem when I allowed it to get the updates during the repair.

I hate this saying less haste more speed but pebcak :censored:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Had to reinstall my win10 on a fresh bought PCS PC due to issues with DX9 not installing and chose the quick option of not getting the windows updates first. The lesson I should have know was to allow it to fully update during the install and not use the quicker install or driver problems arise, eg couldn't install any GPU drivers for my 2080 or driver for the wifi card and 3 hours wasted trying googled fixes. So re-ran the install from the DVD and it fixed the problem when I allowed it to get the updates during the repair.

I hate this saying less haste more speed but pebcak :censored:

For future reference, it’s best to download the latest iso from below and plonk it on a usb (much quicker than cd)

https://windows10.help/blogs/entry/...10-iso-files-directly-using-your-web-browser/

This will clean install with all updates rather than then updating to catch up which can lead to a stronger platform.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
For future reference, it’s best to download the latest iso from below and plonk it on a usb (much quicker than cd)

https://windows10.help/blogs/entry/...10-iso-files-directly-using-your-web-browser/

This will clean install with all updates rather than then updating to catch up which can lead to a stronger platform.

'tis very very rare that I disagree with Spydertracks on anything (in fact this may well be the first time!) but I'd recommend you just get the file directly from Microsoft without the faff in the article.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

What that article talks about needing to change your browser string isn't needed. You can chose to create an ISO/USB bootable stick from within the media creation tool as well as just do an in-place upgrade:

Win 10 installer options.png

I've also seen tools like Rufus linked to in the article cause non-bootable USB sticks in UEFI based machines. The Microsoft Media Creation Tool handles this without issue.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
'tis very very rare that I disagree with Spydertracks on anything (in fact this may well be the first time!) but I'd recommend you just get the file directly from Microsoft without the faff in the article.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

What that article talks about needing to change your browser string isn't needed. You can chose to create an ISO/USB bootable stick from within the media creation tool as well as just do an in-place upgrade:

View attachment 12441

I've also seen tools like Rufus linked to in the article cause non-bootable USB sticks in UEFI based machines. The Microsoft Media Creation Tool handles this without issue.

Microsoft have pulled the installation tool, only link to raw iso’s Now.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Microsoft have pulled the installation tool, only link to raw iso’s Now.

Narp - that screenshot was literally just done as I typed the answer... Browsed to the link I provided, on Chrome, with no modifications (run in incognito mode to disable my script blockers etc)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Narp - that screenshot was literally just done as I typed the answer... Browsed to the link I provided, on Chrome, with no modifications (run in incognito mode to disable my script blockers etc)

Ah, have you got the link to it? I couldn’t find it when browsing this morning.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Yeah that link in my first reply: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Scroll down a little and the option is there to create the installation media tool.

Oh and to be honest, I'd much prefer it personally, if MS did give you the option to simply download just an ISO file.

There are lots of folks around who will be installing into a virtual machine and can just mount an ISO as a virtual DVD drive.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Oh and to be honest, I'd much prefer it personally, if MS did give you the option to simply download just an ISO file.

There are lots of folks around who will be installing into a virtual machine and can just mount an ISO as a virtual DVD drive.

You can. The media creation tool lets you download an ISO....

Attachments

• Media tool snapshot.jpg
    Media tool snapshot.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 247

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Nice - I didn't go that far in the setup process and I never use that link to download my software. Have a different link to MAPS

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
When trying to download Windows recently I found the media creation tool to hang at 4%, whether downloading the ISO or the tool. Eventually some variation of "restart the PC and retry until problem magically disappears" fixed it and let me download the ISO.

Whereas if I could just download an ISO straight up, my browser tends not to consistently fail at 4% on downloads. The option to cut out the middle man for an ISO would be nice.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I think sometimes this is down to firewalls.

I noticed a couple of years ago that I was suddenly running out of disk space far faster than I should have been.

The only thing that had changed recently was I'd moved over from Sophos UTM to Sophos XG at the perimeter.

Digging deeper, the space was all taken by partial Windows Updates downloads - none of them in that folder had succeeded (although some others had) and as I recall they totalled over 200GB.

Doing some digging, I ultimately ended up having to bypass IPS for anything Windows Update related. That cleared the issue in its tracks

Funnily enough we recently upgraded the proxy server here where I am working and it's integrated with a firewall...they had exactly the same issue and the same workaround (different FW vendor).

Not saying it's your issue, just that MS Updates and Firewalls don't always play nicely.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
When trying to download Windows recently I found the media creation tool to hang at 4%, whether downloading the ISO or the tool. Eventually some variation of "restart the PC and retry until problem magically disappears" fixed it and let me download the ISO.

Whereas if I could just download an ISO straight up, my browser tends not to consistently fail at 4% on downloads. The option to cut out the middle man for an ISO would be nice.

There are a lot of these types of complaint on the web I note, though personally I've never ever had a problem with the Media Creation Tool on any version of Windows 10. I do wonder whether that's because I always clean-install Windows 10? Perhaps these issues are upgrade-in-place related??

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
There are a lot of these types of complaint on the web I note, though personally I've never ever had a problem with the Media Creation Tool on any version of Windows 10. I do wonder whether that's because I always clean-install Windows 10? Perhaps these issues are upgrade-in-place related??

Other than the aforementioned, I've never had any issues whether it be in-place or clean install.

But you're right about the number of complaints out there.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The download was in order to do a clean install - though it was a download being performed on a non-clean installed 1709. I'm not sure but I think the Media Creation Tool relies on the Windows update service?

So if the update service is unhappy, perhaps as a result of successive upgrades in place, the Media Creation Tool may be unhappy.

Memory on what I did to fix this is hazy already, but it may have been restarting the service rather than the PC that fixed it.

It was one of those "I'm doing A.. oh, that doesn't work, need to do B to troubleshoot... oh, that doesn't work, need to troubleshoot B with C... oh, C's not working, better do D to fix C..." I usually take notes on these things as I go, but by the time I got down to D my patience was done and I figured if I could get a clean install working I'd not encounter A-D for another 12 months + anyway. :)

But yes, my finger points at whatever made the Windows Update service unhappy.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
But yes, my finger points at whatever made the Windows Update service unhappy.

I think that can be pretty much anything...day ending in a "Y", MS delivering their latest and <cough> greatest OS release, someone having the audacity to try and use it... ;)

I've had various explanations over the years as to why MS can't re-engineer their updates system to be more like the way Linux does it. Some have made a bit more sense than others but I'm not a developer so it's not something I've every really understood.