Laptop Errors ... Now rebuild ! - Defiance Series Laptop

jasvau

I wonder if anyone could please advise .. Yesterday my Laptop decided to no longer cooperate !..

After using it (writing a presentation, whilst streaming music), it was shutdown. A few hours later, I restarted it, only for it to fail to start with a blue screen.
The blue screen continued to loop, and even booting to safe mode or attempting to roll back to a previous restore point failed, and the laptop halted.

I was able to restore from my USB boot Win10 media, and attempted to fix the system.
After re-installation of Windows, things weren't happening.. XTU3SERVICE was giving a .NET error on login, and the keyboard colour control app was no longer available.
I attempted to reinstall the drivers from Downloads, but couldnt get rid of the error. Finally tracked down the Extreme Tuning Facility and installed that, the error went away, but the Laptop hung...

Ive taken the decision to completely wipe and re-install Windows / MS Office, VPN, Anti-Virus Software.
Everything is stable and fully patched, but im yet to start to install the Laptop Specific Drivers and Utilities for my Laptop... This is what im a little concerned about doing.

Full Laptop Spec is :-
Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
512GB ADATA SU800 M.2 2280 (560 MB/R, 520 MB/W)
2TB SEAGATE 7mm SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

jasvau

The Laptop is only 2 months old. I have been using the drivers that were available to me from the DOWNLOAD section of the PCS website... Ill grab the ones from clevo.com.tw site and check the versions, but I think they are pretty much the latest.

jasvau

Quick update on progress ... Windoes10 working perfectly, Verified all drivers as being the latest, and started to install.
Actually rebooted between each driver addition.. Error XTU3SERVICE back after installing Control Panel and fingerprint reader no longer working ...
I think its going to be a long night !

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Quick update on progress ... Windoes10 working perfectly, Verified all drivers as being the latest, and started to install.
Actually rebooted between each driver addition.. Error XTU3SERVICE back after installing Control Panel and fingerprint reader no longer working ...
I think its going to be a long night !

XTU3SERVICE is a component of Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility and you should absolutely not be using that on a laptop that you know is having issues. You need to be quite certain that the laptop behaves itself at stock clock speeds and voltages before you even think of using XTU. I would suggest that you uninstall XTU until you have a stable system.

jasvau

XTU3SERVICE is a component of Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility and you should absolutely not be using that on a laptop that you know is having issues. You need to be quite certain that the laptop behaves itself at stock clock speeds and voltages before you even think of using XTU. I would suggest that you uninstall XTU until you have a stable system.

I have no intention of adjusting the clock speed of the laptop .. it's sufficiently high spec that it doesn't warrant messing with.
I would however like the ability to assign light colours to the keyboard and use the other functions that the utility has.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have no intention of adjusting the clock speed of the laptop .. it's sufficiently high spec that it doesn't warrant messing with.
I would however like the ability to assign light colours to the keyboard and use the other functions that the utility has.

Are you actually installing intel extreme as a separate install? If so it’s not required on the laptop.

Or is XTU installed as part of another driver? I didn’t think it was included with control center? Control center is the app that controls the lighting and other aspects of the chassis.

jasvau

It seems that the error only happens when you install the Control Panel app / drivers (06_ControlCenter_W10 Package).
Before the fatal crash, the laptop had the ability to change the lighting on the keyboard, also view / control the CPU clocking etc.
These features are available on reboot, and as long as I donot acknowledge the .NET XTU3SERVICE error, they are visible. As soon as the error is acknowledged, or cancelled, then the app / driver no longer functions.
I tried to re-install the app (reboot between each action) and also have tried to repair the existing installation, but this continues to give the same error.

Strange thing is though there is nothing being reported in Device Manager, so everything the OS see's, is running ok.

On a plus side, the touchpad finger print reader is fixed ..Turns out the 12_FingerprintR_W10 app / driver replaces the standard Win10 one and you loose the fingerprints and settings already setup.

Not sure where I go from here ...

jasvau

I checked the Clevo Website you linked, and the version there is the same as the version on the PCS site.
Ive kicked off the DL, but its sloow ... going to take a few hours to pull the package down.
Ill try and uninstall / re-install, just incase there is a corruption on the PCS package (CRC checks out though ... )

Watch this space !!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I checked the Clevo Website you linked, and the version there is the same as the version on the PCS site.
Ive kicked off the DL, but its sloow ... going to take a few hours to pull the package down.
Ill try and uninstall / re-install, just incase there is a corruption on the PCS package (CRC checks out though ... )

Watch this space !!

Think that’s worth trying. If that doesn’t work I’d contact PCS

Just to confirm, your windows is fully updated to 1809?

jasvau

Just to update this thread .. I messaged PCS and they have advised the most probably cause (as I suspected) is the ControlCenter.
They provided me with a link to download a newer version of the Application.
For information, the version of CC that I had obtained, both from the DL site and the Clevo Site was version 1.00.015. The version that PCS directed me to was version 1.0.62.

I uninstalled the previous software, rebooted, installed the new software, rebooted and ..... with fingers crossed, and breath held ... IT WORKED !!.
So now the plan is to Ghost the drive ASAP incase of future issues !

Thanks everyone for your input and for being there to bounce ideas off. Much appreciated

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just to update this thread .. I messaged PCS and they have advised the most probably cause (as I suspected) is the ControlCenter.
For information, the version of CC that I had obtained, both from the DL site and the Clevo Site was version 1.00.015. The version that PCS directed me to was version 1.0.62.

I uninstalled the previous software, rebooted, installed the new software, rebooted and ..... with fingers crossed, and breath held ... IT WORKED !!.

Thanks everyone for your input and for being there to bounce ideas off. Much appreciated

Interesting.... I would hope PCS updated Clevo to mention this, seems like this new version very much needs to be mainstream!

Well done, glad you got it sorted :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Many thanks from me as well for reporting the solution. It sounds like there is something very wrong with the latest Clevo driver....

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I thought the problem was with an older version of CCC not being happy with.. something. Maybe a Windows update, and/or the update messed up XTU. And the solution in this case was a new version of the driver.

XTU does seem to be included as part of CCC and we've had other threads some months back mention similar errors with brand new laptops.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I thought the problem was with an older version of CCC not being happy with.. something. Maybe a Windows update, and/or the update messed up XTU. And the solution in this case was a new version of the driver.

XTU does seem to be included as part of CCC and we've had other threads some months back mention similar errors with brand new laptops.

Ah, I thought that was the control driver on the tong fang that used xtu, didn’t appreciate it was ccc.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'm pretty sure it's the Clevo one, not sure if the Tongfang gaming centre does. But I might have made that up.