i7-9700K temperatures

Tallpaulos

Enthusiast
Hi,

I'm still testing this in different games, but I was slightly surprised to see my new i7-9700K plus Corsair H100x reach 77c in Battlefield V (@2K high to ultra settings) the last couple of days. When I first tested it in same game, it was below 62c, but the last few days it has been higher.

I know the 9700K can get hot, and this is well within the operating range, but I was hoping the cooler would do a little better than this. I can't help but think how bad the temps would have gotten with a lesser cooler. I'm aware that Battlefield V is pretty demanding though.

So, for comparison, do any of you have a 9700K and Battlefield V?? Could you see what temps you're hitting and let me know which cooler you are using?

I'll add some more temps for different games to this post.

Thanks!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Didn't BFV have an update recently, and could this have affected CPU load and therefore increased temps?

The update that also patched RTX performance definitely affected non-RTX performance too, as I saw multiple sites showing a few FPS dropped in non-RTX gaming. So maybe it affected CPU load as well. I'm just speculating.

I suppose it's always possible something affected your CPU cooler profile as well.

Tallpaulos

Enthusiast
I played another 3 hours on BF5 last night and only hit 62c. As you say it might have been related to an update, or there is a specific situation or map that absolutely destroys the CPU. I need to play another game for a couple of hours to compare but I can't stop playing Battlefield in the little time I have...

I'm going to take a look at the CPU cooler profile too.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You can always leave the PC doing stress tests / firestrike loops / leave a single player game running - overnight - and log the temps. Unless the PC's in the bedroom I suppose...

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
There was probably a background windows update being processed while you were playing that's taken the CPU to it's limit :)

I would be happy with mid 70s with the CPU and GPU being maxed. Granted, my eyebrow would be raised a little if it was just gaming.

A stress test of the CPU would be a very good option. Mid 70s-80 in unrealistic stress testing would be a winner in my book. When I was pushing my overclock I was happy to stay under 87° :D

Tallpaulos

Enthusiast
There was probably a background windows update being processed while you were playing that's taken the CPU to it's limit :)

I would be happy with mid 70s with the CPU and GPU being maxed. Granted, my eyebrow would be raised a little if it was just gaming.

A stress test of the CPU would be a very good option. Mid 70s-80 in unrealistic stress testing would be a winner in my book. When I was pushing my overclock I was happy to stay under 87° :D

So I was browsing the web last night and my CPU went from 30-35c up to about 65c for no reason...then dropped back, then went up again. So it is clearly something in the background causing the increased temp, which is going even higher when playing a game. However, I could not figure out what it was using task manager (when ranking by CPU usage).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So I was browsing the web last night and my CPU went from 30-35c up to about 65c for no reason...then dropped back, then went up again. So it is clearly something in the background causing the increased temp, which is going even higher when playing a game. However, I could not figure out what it was using task manager (when ranking by CPU usage).

What browser are you using? Could be a mining malware or something. Have you got any addon's like facebook or anything equally nasty?

Tallpaulos

Enthusiast
What browser are you using? Could be a mining malware or something. Have you got any addon's like facebook or anything equally nasty?

I use Edge and Chrome interchangeably, usually Edge at the moment actually. No facebook etc. The PC is brand new I've hardly got any programs installed on it yet. Just the usual gaming clients, MSI afterburner, CPUZ, iCUE, Geforce experience. Malwarebytes comes up clear.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I use Edge and Chrome interchangeably, usually Edge at the moment actually. No facebook etc. The PC is brand new I've hardly got any programs installed on it yet. Just the usual gaming clients, MSI afterburner, CPUZ, iCUE, Geforce experience. Malwarebytes comes up clear.

Sorry for the late reply...

Yeah, doesn't sound like it's gonna be a nasty then if you've scanned with Malwarebytes.

That's perplexing. Does iCue's reading of the pump fathom out, is it stable? That's the only other thing I could think of that the pump is dipping during use causing spikes.