Looking for a new monitor.

Bearro

I knew I'd be back! I felt slightly hijacking this thread would be better than starting a new one but I'm in the market for a new monitor too - my new PC arrived yesterday (it's amazing by the way thanks for the help Oussebon!)

So yeah I really need a new monitor the one I have is ancient and it's a flickering low res mess.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for something for gaming? I'm looking for something on finance preferably.

New system is a AMD 2700x and the Graphics card is a Nvidia 1070ti.

I was thinking of this one https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-...c-144hz-180hz-oc-1ms-100m1-250cd-m-hdmi-dp-dv

but I'm not sure if my graphics card justifies those specs? I'll be using it for a lot of Overwatch and various other games.

Any pointers would be great, even if it's just "don't buy that monitor"

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I knew I'd be back! I felt slightly hijacking this thread would be better than starting a new one but I'm in the market for a new monitor too - my new PC arrived yesterday (it's amazing by the way thanks for the help Oussebon!)

So yeah I really need a new monitor the one I have is ancient and it's a flickering low res mess.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for something for gaming? I'm looking for something on finance preferably.

New system is a AMD 2700x and the Graphics card is a Nvidia 1070ti.

I was thinking of this one https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-...c-144hz-180hz-oc-1ms-100m1-250cd-m-hdmi-dp-dv

but I'm not sure if my graphics card justifies those specs? I'll be using it for a lot of Overwatch and various other games.

Any pointers would be great, even if it's just "don't buy that monitor"

It's pointless really getting a 1080p graphics card, just limiting your builds potential. It'd be like buying a Porsche only to drive to the shops at 30mph, totally pointless.

The 1070ti is more than capable for 1440p high refresh.

I'd recommend the Dell in my signature which is a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor and can be found for around the same price and is worlds apart better

Bearro

I'd recommend the Dell in my signature which is a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor and can be found for around the same price and is worlds apart better

Thanks for the fast response! I'll read up on that one and watch a few youtube videos, I'm tempted just to go for it but at the same time I feel it might be worth waiting for some boxing day/January sales.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the fast response! I'll read up on that one and watch a few youtube videos, I'm tempted just to go for it but at the same time I feel it might be worth waiting for some boxing day/January sales.

Probably a good idea, I'd wait a little. I would aim for nothing more than £450 on that monitor, but hopefully you're right and it may go for less.

It's a beautiful monitor, both aesthetically and performance wise, I'm very happy with it.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I've not seen the S2716DG go for meaningfully less than £450 in the UK I think. £450 is already lower than the ~£500+ it used to go for. I'm not optimistic we'd see it for waaay less than £450; even some of the more upmarket freesync monitors are that kind of price. The Dell's about the cheapest 1440p gsync one going.

I've not made a formal study, but I did keep half an eye on it versus other monitors through the sales recently when trying to see if there was an upgrade I could justify buying.

1440p gsync is a great fit for the 1070 ti. There are a lot of 1080p gsync monitors (including the one linked in the OP) that are the same price or higher than the S2716DG. Gsync monitors aren't meant to be about value, but the value of the 1080p ones really does blow.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've not seen the S2716DG go for meaningfully less than £450 in the UK I think. £450 is already lower than the ~£500+ it used to go for. I'm not optimistic we'd see it for waaay less than £450; even some of the more upmarket freesync monitors are that kind of price. The Dell's about the cheapest 1440p gsync one going.

I've not made a formal study, but I did keep half an eye on it versus other monitors through the sales recently when trying to see if there was an upgrade I could justify buying.

1440p gsync is a great fit for the 1070 ti. There are a lot of 1080p gsync monitors (including the one linked in the OP) that are the same price or higher than the S2716DG. Gsync monitors aren't meant to be about value, but the value of the 1080p ones really does blow.

It is crazy how expensive the 1080p gsync monitors are, with the power of current cards bs the price on good 1440p and 4K screens, it’s a no brainer to forget about 1080p.

Bearro

Appreciate the info folks, after some thinking and reading online I'm not sure I really need a Gsync monitor (my bank balance certainly doesn't) - so if we take that out of the equation I'm looking for a 144hz 1440p monitor right?

Are there any that you'd recommend? It's a little while until payday but it's nice to read reviews and dream while I wait for that. At the moment I'm mainly playing Overwatch (it's been a challenge switching from PS4 to a mouse and keyboard!) and Divinity 2 which I picked up in the Steam sale and my girlfriend and I are loving it and it'll keep me busy for a long long time.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'd have probably recommended economies on the PC in order to afford a gsync monitor tbh, if I'd have known budget for that was an issue.

The problem is that most 1440p 144hz monitors are over £300 anyway. And if spending £350-450 for a non-gsync monitor, why not just buy a £450 gsync monitor anyway? (or £380 if you don't mind 24" rather than 27" - the Dell S2417DG is £380 right now)

You can look at the Element Gaming monitor, 27" (just google it) for £230. Apparently it's alright, at least for the money.

There are also the Samsung LC27JG52QQUXEN (and Samsung LC27JG50QQUXEN). These are usually £300 which I wouldn't pay that money for (see earlier comments - and user reviews make me concerned about QC). But occasionally you get get them for £230.

Incidentally I've been looking at 1440p 144hz IPS/VA freesync monitors lately, and a lot of these have gone EOL or out of stock very recently... perhaps there will be a new wave of such monitors with Freesync 2 when Navi launches? But it's like all the models I've been looking at are now unavailable at major retailers, so makes me wonder if there's something coming out soon.

Last edited:

Bearro

I'd have probably recommended economies on the PC in order to afford a gsync monitor tbh, if I'd have known budget for that was an issue.

In fairness you absolutely did.

I'll take a look at the ones you mentioned but yeah I'll probably end up going for a Gsync in the end (most likely the Dell) it just seems so expensive but you get what you pay for I guess and hopefully they're built to last and I wouldn't need to change for quite a few years.

I've got my 40th coming up in a few months so I might put some hints out for an early birthday present. I think this bump was more me looking for someone to say "just go for a Gsync!" which you've done - so thanks!

Linoshi

Just to avoid making a new thread. I'm also looking for a new 1440p 144hz monitor, the Dell S2716DG sounds great as it's decetly priced and comes with G-Sync. However, I was wondering if there was something similar in a 32" size?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
With gsync, not that I know of. There are plenty of VA 32" 1440p 144hz monitors out there, some with freesync. Though they're probably all using the same panel or something.

You could consider 1440p ultrawide ~100hz if you have the GPU and the wallet for it and want a bigger screen.

Linoshi

I've found plenty of VA 32" 1440p 144hz monitors with freesync I'd consider , though I wouldn't be able to utilise it given I always game on Nvidea. How important is Gsync and Freesync?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If I were spending that much on a GPU and monitor, I'd want the appropriate one. I'd also be unlikely to buy a 32" 1440p monitor through for pixel density.

Linoshi

So, I'm assuming you'd still keep the recommendation on the Dell S2716DG, as it's 1440p, 144Hz, G-Sync and a smaller monitor? Are there any other monitors you'd recommend?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'd probably stick with the Dell S2716DG, unless you were keen for an IPS monitor. This is to go with an RTX 2080 right?

Linoshi

I have been looking at a few reviews for the monitor and they're quite polarising. There seems to be huge complaints about the colours of the screen and that it's overpriced for what it offers. I'm really not sure what to think now, did you guys have any issues with the Dell S2716DG?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have been looking at a few reviews for the monitor and they're quite polarising. There seems to be huge complaints about the colours of the screen and that it's overpriced for what it offers. I'm really not sure what to think now, did you guys have any issues with the Dell S2716DG?

None, best monitor I own both for performance and aesthetics. Those reviews may have been price at release date, but it’s one of the cheapest gsync 1440p monitors on the market.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
As above, always be careful to scrutinise the date/price if a review complains a value. A Vega 64 at £600 is a rubbish gaming GPU. A Vega 64 at under £400 is a pretty strong gaming GPU.
PCmonitors.info seemed satisfied, and I do generally find their reviews pretty thorough. Also:

At time of writing it’s slightly cheaper than the PG278Q
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2716dg/
That Asus monitor was just shy of £600 for much of its life I think? Maybe £550 or a bit more on a good day? Versus the Dell that's currently £450.

I'd also suggest buying any expensive monitor from a store you can trust the returns policies of. So if there's a fault (including faults that aren't officially faults, like some dead pixels) or if you just hate the thing, you can send it back. That said people who've bought the monitor after recommendations here seem to have all been happy.

Last edited: