Debian WiFi issues

dpc25

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to successfully configure a WiFi connection on Debian? Ever?

OK, I'll be more specific. Got my new PCS laptop yesterday. Installed Debian. Couldn't connect to WiFi. Been trying to solve the issue for like 36 hours know and am nearing breaking point.

My laptop came with GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0. I don't know whether or not this is the standard WiFi adapter that comes with PCS machines but surely someone here must have come across this issue before?

dpc25

What is the full spec of the laptop? or at least what model e.g. Recoil II 15.6"?

Chassis & Display
UltraNote Series: 14" Matte Full HD IPS 60 Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor i7-8550U (1.80GHz, 4.0GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
INTEL® HD GRAPHICS (CPU Dependant) - 1.7GB Max DDR4 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Storage Drive
500GB SEAGATE SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
128GB ADATA SU800 M.2 2280 (560 MB/R, 300 MB/W)
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 1 x USB 3.0 PORT + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Stephen M

Author Level
If it is the standard Debian it will come without the wifi firmare and you need to add it during the installation process. It should be fairly simple to get with an internet search. There is also a Debian non-free version which will have all the needed firmware with it. I have put Debian on four different PCS laptops and once you have the firmware, or you go with the non-free version it has been straightforward. I find one of the worst parts of a Debian install is finding stuff via their website which has never been exactly clear, although not been on it for a couple of months so it may be better now.

dpc25

If it is the standard Debian it will come without the wifi firmare and you need to add it during the installation process. It should be fairly simple to get with an internet search. There is also a Debian non-free version which will have all the needed firmware with it. I have put Debian on four different PCS laptops and once you have the firmware, or you go with the non-free version it has been straightforward. I find one of the worst parts of a Debian install is finding stuff via their website which has never been exactly clear, although not been on it for a couple of months so it may be better now.

Do any of those four PCS laptops happen to have that same wireless card?

I installed using the non-free image which didn't come with the necessary firmware. I then installed what seemed to be the correct firmware from the backport firmware-iwlwifi package, and that still didn't work...

dpc25

Two of the machines had that wireless card, not sure about the others. Have you tried an iso from here: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

Yes, I used the current (9.6) image from there, but it doesn't contain the necessary firmware.

I've now solved the issue - I had to update the Linux kernel (I went for 4.18) from the backports repo, and then download the backport firmware-iwlwifi package.
Hopefully this helps anyone else who has this issue.