Please help if You can!

Hello there! I would very happy if somebody knew how to fix this issue that I am having. I don't know why, but allmost every game that I have (that is a bit more demanding than games like Stardew Valley , Shovel Knight...) just freezes while I play it. The game window freezes, but sound and gameplay don't, I can hear that I move my character etc. I have send it do service for computers but they didn't fix ANYTHING. They just installed new Windows 10 and said that they have fixed it. I have tryed everything, deinstalling and reinstaling gpu drivers, cleaning the PC up, updating gpu drivers, deleting all stuff that I don't need... I don't even know that to do at this point. Please help!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
What is the full spec of your system?

Which brand is it?

Who did you send it to?

How long have you owned it, and are you the original owner or is it 2nd hand?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In addition to the above, did the computer shop really install a new copy of Windows 10 or did they just say they had (it happens). Do you know how they installed it (ie. was it a Windows 10 'refresh' or a clean install)? Have they installed exactly the same version of Windows 10 you had originally (Home or Pro)? If not (and that happens too) then your license will be invalid.

If it fails with a clean install of Windows then it's most likely a hardware issue. That said, I would strongly suggest you do a clean install of Windows 10 using the installation media that came with the PC (delete all existing system partitions and start again). Allow Windows Update to find and install all your drivers, it is pretty good at that, and then install only one game - choose one that always fails - and test the system in that pristine state. If the game freezes or hangs then it's a hardware issue and my guess would be the graphics card.

They didn't say that they only installed Windows 10. They said that they fixed the PC and installed Windows 10. I don't know how, they haven't told me. First there was Windows 7 Pro and now it is Windows 10 Pro. My license is valid. Right now im updating Windows. Thanks for wasting Your time helping me!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It would help with some avenues of advice if you could please answer the questions I asked :)

Im sorry for not anwsering your questions. I thought that I allready anwserd your questions. Sorry again! (I am pretty stupid... that is why I thought that...)
My GPU: Palit GTX 650 2gb GDDR5, drivers: 416.34
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 ghz
RAM: 8 GB ddr3 RAM
PSU: i don't know, but will tell you asap
MBO: ASUS M4N78 PRO
Case: Cooler Master
It is Cooler master pc (i think). I am second hand owner. The guy blocked me and when I told him that I wanted refund he said that I should call him, but he didn't anwser and blocked me. I have owned it for 2 months.

I have reset my PC, it uninstalled all games and programs. Now in task manager disc isn't at 100% allmost all of the time. It hasn't even came to 100%. I am installing LoL to try if it will work properly now.

I have installed LoL and tried playing but it still isn't working properly. In 20 minutes there were 2 times that something happened. At around 8 minutes in game, the game window/screen became black for 1-2 seconds and went back to being normal. At this point I don't even know what to do.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
To be brutally honest I don't think the computer repair shop has done you any favours. By installing Windows 10 they have introduced another level of uncertainty, because you don't know whether your PC is fully compatible with Windows 10. In addition, they should not have installed Windows 10 without asking you first, AFAIK the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 ended long ago, although I do hear that there are (still) exceptions apparently, so it's not impossible that you don't have a valid license to run Windows 10 even though it might have activated. If that is the case that might come back to bite you in the future if Microsoft determine that your license is invalid. I'm not saying your Windows 10 license is invalid, I'm just suggesting it might be, I've come across repair shops using volume licenses in this way before.

I would try reinstalling the original Windows 7 Pro that came with the PC, because you know that works. You'll need to source the Windows 7 drivers of course, get them from the original PC vendor or from the various hardware vendor's websites - do not use a third-party driver search tool. My concern here would be whether your Windows 7 license is still valid, or whether it's been upgraded to a Windows 10 license. If Windows 7 activates then you're good to go.

If Windows 7 activates then I would install just one game, the one that freezes most often, and see whether it freezes now. If it does then it's likely to be a hardware problem. If it doesn't then install your other third party software, one at a time, and test after each install in case it's some software you have installed that causes the freezes.

Try that and let us know how you get on. :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
some of them freeze and some crash.
As above, try a clean install of Windows 7.

Do you have the Windows 7 licence key (it may be stuck to the back of the PC on a label)?

Do you have the media (e.g. DVD) to install Windows 7 from?

normal.jpg

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
You need to stop being so random, throwing out question after question (often which may have no bearing on your issues at hand) and answer the ones that the guys here have (in some cases, more than once) asked repeatedly.

No one is going to be able to help you until you stop going off in these random directions and start to help us to help you.

First off, it is entirely possible that you do have a valid copy of Windows 10 but in order for this to be the case, the repair shop had to do an in-place upgrade. That is not the same thing as a fresh install and as a result is far from guaranteed to have resolved anything and, as ubuysa pointed out earlier, may well have introduced other issues.

I know that the free upgrade servers still worked not that many weeks ago, because I did it with a VM and posted about it here.

However, it is equally possible that they installed a non-genuine copy and that can lead to all sorts of other problems down the line such as not being able to download security updates.

I hate to say it but I've seen more illegal copies of Windows come out of these places than legal by a massive ratio and they're often run by entirely clueless amateurs.

Add to that, as ubuysa also stated, your machine may well not be fully compatible with Windows 10.

At this point in time, your safest option by far is to reinstall, from scratch, Windows 7 with the latest relevant drivers. At that point, you are starting from a known good position.

But to reiterate again what others have repeatedly said - please answer the questions that you've been asked.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Does anyone know a solution?

There are two types of troubleshooting.....

1. The poke and hope style. In this style of troubleshooting there is no overall plan, you simply jump from Googled solution to Googled solution without any real thought of what you're doing or whether the proposed solution is even applicable to you. You don't proceed in an organised way, you try anything at all, and without backing out those changes which made no difference. It's like trying to make a cake by chucking in anything you find in your kitchen and baking it at whatever temperature some random (and possibly wrong) website told you to. Problems are rarely fixed by this technique, and if they are it's by pure accident. What makes it worse is that these are the people who then confidently post their 'solution' on websites for other poke and hope troubleshooters to waste their time on.

2. The step by step style. In this style of troubleshooting your aim is to move from the general to the specific via a process of elimination. Each step in the process is designed to provide more specific information by eliminating factors that are not the cause. For example, one of the first steps is to find out whether the problem is hardware or software related, if it's software then you move on to see whether it's Windows or third party related - and so on. At each step you know what you are trying to achieve and you proceed in a logical and organised manner to home in on the cause of the problem. Only after you have identified the cause can you start to decide on a solution (or sometimes a work-around). Problems are almost always fixed via this technique.

The very experienced people on here, and some of the best have been advising you, are trying to help you use the second, and more effective troubleshooting technique. But you're not listening. There is no magic bullet, 'just do this and it will all be ok' is a fantasy. You can either follow the excellent advice and suggestions that experienced users have made here or you can continue to chase your tail. It's you call.