'It spoke to me'!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
There is a poster on a sailing forum to which I belong who is saying that a relative of his is being forced to change their password at Windows login and that the PC 'spoke to her'.

I've never heard of Windows speaking at login and my first thought is malware, but has anyone else on here come across anything like this? I've no idea yet what it said... :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The PC will speak to a user if certain Easy Access controls have been switched on accidentally, more specifically the narrator. Either that or Cortana of course.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Good point but I'm not even sure we're talking about Windows 10...

As far back as xp windows had assistive technologies, a part of which was speech for various actions. I had exact same thing come up on an pc machine years ago, have no idea how it was triggered.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Yeah if it's Windows 10, it could be Cortana being her usual annoying self.

It sounds like they may have accidentally turned the narrator on - I believe the combination is Windows key + Enter

Shepard

Enthusiast
When I installed a new SSD in my laptop and (re)installed Windows on it, Cortana started speaking, asking me about the region and such. Maybe it was just that?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the suggestions, I've passed them on. The thread has now gone quiet however, if I find out what it was saying I'll let you know. Hopefully it wasn't this.....

Motivator_HAL_9000_soory_dave.jpg

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
The cake isn't a lie, and is in fact moist and delicious.

In reply to Ubuysa... the thread may have gone quiet but

Has the computer???