RTX Laptops with 1440p 120hz screens?

TheUberMedic

I was kinda hoping for a laptop like the 17.3" Defiance V that has the option of that 1440p 120hz screen but with the horsepower of an RTX card. Seems kinda of a waste to have all this power in a laptop and be stuck to either 1080p or not able to push 60fps at 4k. Was wondering if we'll get an option for it later on so I have something to upgrade to :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
1) Never assume upgrades will be possible in laptops (the Defiance GPUs aren't MXM, so aside from all the other considerations, they're really not possible there...)

2) Buying a ~£600 mobile GPU only to upgrade it to a modestly better ~£800 mobile GPU is a bit, well, I wouldn't recommend it...

3) The laptops were only just announced, so give it a bit of time for the dust to settle. Maybe Clevo will refresh the chassis :)

4) Wait for benchmarks. The mobile RTX cards are clocked lower than their desktop counterparts, and there may be thermal or power limit considerations.

An RTX 2080 might be suitable for 4k gaming, but if it's like the Pascal 1080 it won't be seen in chassis outside the Octane. The Defiance has a Max-Q version but who knows what performance there will be, again.

I think we just need to give PCS a little time to refresh their lineup, but yes, a 1440p gsync screen option for the higher end chassis does seem warranted.

1) Never assume upgrades will be possible in laptops (the Defiance GPUs aren't MXM, so aside from all the other considerations, they're really not possible there...)

2) Buying a ~£600 mobile GPU only to upgrade it to a modestly better ~£800 mobile GPU is a bit, well, I wouldn't recommend it...

3) The laptops were only just announced, so give it a bit of time for the dust to settle. Maybe Clevo will refresh the chassis :)

4) Wait for benchmarks. The mobile RTX cards are clocked lower than their desktop counterparts, and there may be thermal or power limit considerations.

An RTX 2080 might be suitable for 4k gaming, but if it's like the Pascal 1080 it won't be seen in chassis outside the Octane. The Defiance has a Max-Q version but who knows what performance there will be, again.

I think we just need to give PCS a little time to refresh their lineup, but yes, a 1440p gsync screen option for the higher end chassis does seem warranted.

It's definately my assumption that these have been under wraps for a while now, the current crop were announced first thing today after the CES announcements. They are all basically new chips in last years or older chassis, so i think you are spot on there will be new chassis announced in due course.

Personally I'm happy with 60fps at 1080p on a 15"6 laptop, which is the target baseline for the 2060 this time round. Which probably means that's what i'll end up picking to upgrade my 3yr old defiance 970M, which frankly is still pretty damn good for 30fps gaming at 1080p.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have a feeling high refresh 1440p screens will become much more common with this series mobile cards. And perhaps very high refresh 1080p (240Hz) screens for competitive FPS.

Mulligan

Silver Level Poster
Was getting all excited to get my new gaming laptop but does seem like sound advice to wait for the dust to settle especially if 1440p is a possibility.

Does anyone know rough lead times between when Clevo announces new chassis and PCS starting to stock them?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Was getting all excited to get my new gaming laptop but does seem like sound advice to wait for the dust to settle especially if 1440p is a possibility.

Does anyone know rough lead times between when Clevo announces new chassis and PCS starting to stock them?

Very quick usually, like within a week of release.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Ultimately we can only speculate - you could contact PCS and ask directly. If you get the chance, let us know what they say :)

Mulligan

Silver Level Poster
Spoke with the PCS Sales Chat, asked if Octane VI, Defiance VI RTX, or any equivalent models would become available with 1440p screens, they said no. The only model they have with 1440p is Defiance V (without RTX).
Obviously this doesn't completely rule out them becoming available in the future but doesn't sound hugely promising in the short term.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Spoke with the PCS Sales Chat, asked if Octane VI, Defiance VI RTX, or any equivalent models would become available with 1440p screens, they said no. The only model they have with 1440p is Defiance V (without RTX).
Obviously this doesn't completely rule out them becoming available in the future but doesn't sound hugely promising in the short term.

If they aren't going to have either 1440p-144hz gsync or 4k-60hz gsync laptops then I start to question the logic of why they're stocking 2080s for laptops.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If they aren't going to have either 1440p-144hz gsync or 4k-60hz gsync laptops then I start to question the logic of why they're stocking 2080s for laptops.

I'm a bit perplexed also, unless the justification is to stick a 2080 into a 1080p screen and run it at full tilt with RTX enabled at 60fps?

Not a great trade off imho. I'd prefer high refresh normal visuals.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
So you can have RTX on at 1080p 60hz, obviously. lololol. :/

Edit: Oh, someone already said that, but in a less trollish fashion.