Ces 2019

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'm so ready for the Radeon VII benchmarks tomorrow.

Most of my favourite titles favour Nvidia cards - especially FO4 where Vega really didn't do well versus Nvidia. But if the Fallout 76 performance gain claims AMD made are true, I'm pretty much sold. They're based on the same engine ofc.

Fallout 4 favours Nvidia GPUs... but has an issue where turning on weapon debris makes the game crash on RTX cards... not to mention the 8gb VRAM with FO4 at 4k and many texture mods is a bit risky... should have just bought a damn 1080 ti in 2017.. grumble..

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's meant to be equivalent to an RTX 2080. The very high price owes a lot of the HBM2 memory - 16gb's worth. The card's designed in a way where having 4 modules actually matters to performance a lot.

But as it stands we don't know pricing (as in actual, UK and EU pricing), or performance, and the rumours about low availability that AMD strenuously denied appear to be true.

mishra

Rising Star
Well because it's a Vega refresh designed for content creators not for gamers (16GB of memory!). I'm really surprised why AMD announced this as a "gamers card". I mean it can be a good gaming card but it can't compete with RTX, not too mention +300W power draw!

A "gamer" card is going to be Navi completely new architecture and not a refresh of Vega. It's not a bad card but it is not a pure breed gaming card.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
As far as I understand it, the 16gb VRAM is because they wanted to increase memory bandwidth having 4 instead of 2 modules and the HBM2 is only in 4gb modules. Also why price = £££

The problem isn't that it doesn't compete well with the RTX 2080, the problem is that it doesn't really compete brilliantly with a GTX 1080 ti that came out 2 years ago. I was hoping it would at least inch out the 1080 ti more often than not.

Well, that's one problem. Another problem is that a lot of reviewers had to say "So, we were gonna test/showcase X, but we couldn't because the drivers/software are borked and the card didn't work for this".

So at the moment it's a bad card because you can't actually use it as intended.

Navi's not expected to exceed Radeon VII either, so atm I'm considering getting an RTX 2070 with a 1440p freesync monitor. I considered Vega 56/64 but one of the main games is Fallout 4 which really hates Vega (it doesn't hate AMD, it's kind of okay with Polaris, but Vega performance blows versus Nvidia alternatives).

If anyone sees a decent benchmark of FO4 or FO76 on Radeon VII btw, let me know. I don't play FO76 but as it's the same engine it'll probably be relevant...