New Purchase - honest opinion on possible gaming please

All,

Hopefully someone can give me a bit of advise as to what to expect in terms of gaming performance...

I have already ordered this so no changing it now, and gaming is NOT my main concern for this laptop (other uses are which is why I have opted for a large M.2 SSD over having a smaller one in order to improve the GPU). Basically I will have huge data files and rather long an complicated algorithms that I need to run on it, so large storage with a good speed was the main concern for work reasons (I am talking 250Gb data files that need multiple looping to sort).

But it would be nice to occasionally step into a decent game if possible. I will be dual booting Manjaro Linux and also the devil that is Windows 10 so will possibly game a bit on both, although more so on Windows 10 for obvious reasons.

I am fully aware that the likes of TW (Warhammer) is probably beyond it unless I really lower the settings a lot, but could I get away with playing such games? Fallout 4 using MODS is also a possible? But again if the 1050ti isn't really good enough, then fair enough. I just wanted an honest opinion on what I can expect to play if i wanted to jump into a bit of gaming.

In a couple of years I will have the space and room for a desktop so will get a proper gaming system then rather than be restricted to a laptop.

I have spent so long on consoles (XBOX 360 / XBOX One) it would just be nice to be able to game on a PC again - even if my new laptop will only run the basics.

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
12GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB 1 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti - 4.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
250GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB INTEL® 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 1800MB/sR | 1800MB/sW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 120W AC Adaptor
Battery
Optimus IX Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Promotional Item
Get Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 & More w/ select Intel CPUs!
Quantity

Price £1,340.00 including VAT and Delivery

Stephen M

Author Level
Even after the order is placed you can make changes. I would certainly think about the m2 and go for a Samsung or WD Black as they are very much quicker, the WD is cheaper but almost as quick and good as the Samsung. Getting the fastest RAM would be worth considering as well, although both of these suggestions depend on budget.

Stephen - thanks I may look at doing so, although I think from memory the 2Tb samsung was a bit more on price, and I was pretty much at my budget in all honesty. It was the 2Tb that ended up being more important than the speed it ran at given that the Intel still runs at 1800 - which is more than fast enough for me, or at least should be, and is a huge step up on what I use currently (Seagate Hybrid SSHD that is a good 6 years old).

Mulligan

Silver Level Poster
I put your specs through game-debate.com and it says you should be able to run TW Warhammer 2 on Medium/High:
https://www.game-debate.com/games/i...Ti+4GB&ram=12&checkSubmit=#systemRequirements

So it's not Ultra settings but you'll still be able to play smoothly and have a lot of fun, people get too hung up on running everything at max. I'd imagine you'll get a year or two of running the latest games with the 1050 Ti (again around Medium settings), it's no slouch. And when it starts to show it's age you'll probably be ready for desktop.

Enjoy!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Ignore Game Debate.

in fact, don't ignore game debate, tell everyone that it's dangerous, poisonous garbage and ought to be avoided like the plague :) A lot of its content is based on meaningless, automatic specs comparisons, and apparently some of the rest of the content is stolen. Or so an editor on another site claims...

A better bet might be notebookcheck.net (scroll down a little to get at the game benchmarks) https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-Notebook.168400.0.html
Remembering of course that these come from many different systems with different configs, so YMMV.

Remember that only the 1st 4gb of that 8gb stick is likely to run in dual channel, the remaining 4gb will apparently not. So 16gb (2x8gb) or 8gb (1x8gb) might have been better. But as you say, you're not changing it now.

Thanks everyone.

Checked a few You Tube videos and on TW2 and even Battlefield 5 there are some videos that still give (or appear to give) decent performance on high settings, and those videos are dated a year or so ago (Battlefield V a bit more recent of course) and state it is paired with an I5-7400. So fingers crossed it pairs well with the I7 I have gone with, but I will not doubt find out.

As you said Oussebon - the end result can come down to all sorts of other configs. If need be I can always swap out the 4GB stick and pop in another 8Gb, but only if need be.

In a couple of years I will switch to a Desktop and will try and put one together powerful enough to melt the walls in my house :p

Thanks

Last edited: