Windows 10 install hard drive not found

willb2507

Hi,

I recently bought a Cosmos series laptop and I'm trying to install Windows 10 via the USB installer.

I get to the 'Select the driver to install' page and no Hard Drive is showing up.

I've tried to Shift+F10 and search using diskpart, but nothing shows there, too.

Here is the specification of the laptop:
Chassis & Display Cosmos Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS 60Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Storage Drive NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive 512GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW)

I have a sneaky feeling there is an issue with my M.2 SSD Drive?

Completely at a loss why my new laptop won't show the hard drive like this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Will B

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It will have shipped with Windows 10 already installed. Even if you didn't order it, PCS will have put an unactivated version on there so as to install the relevant drivers and test the system. Did that installation work when you received the laptop?

willb2507

It will have shipped with Windows 10 already installed. Even if you didn't order it, PCS will have put an unactivated version on there so as to install the relevant drivers and test the system. Did that installation work when you received the laptop?

Thanks Oussebon for the reply.

Yes, the trial version was working. However, I installed Ubuntu as this is the OS I use for work. It was never properly stable and yesterday I had had enough of the crashing so decided to install Windows instead.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I would think that Ubuntu will have formatted it as as an Ext4 drive that Windows doesn't recognise.

In the Windows install choose a custom install and delete all partitions on the SSD so it all shows as unallocated space, then create a single partition the size of the drive and all the necessary extra partitions will be created. Install Windows into the largest partition (selected by default)

willb2507

I would think that Ubuntu will have formatted it as as an Ext4 drive that Windows doesn't recognise.

In the Windows install choose a custom install and delete all partitions on the SSD so it all shows as unallocated space, then create a single partition the size of the drive and all the necessary extra partitions will be created. Install Windows into the largest partition (selected by default)

Thanks, ubuysa. The drive eventually appeared and I formatted the drive and started the install. However, 3% in I got a blue screen with a DPC Watchdog violation error...

Looking online suggests a hard drive driver issue?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Thanks Oussebon for the reply.

Yes, the trial version was working. However, I installed Ubuntu as this is the OS I use for work. It was never properly stable and yesterday I had had enough of the crashing so decided to install Windows instead.

I take it my question was invisible to you then?

willb2507

I take it my question was invisible to you then?

Hi Tony1044,

I did reply to you, see the 5th entry in the thread. There are more developments now, however, after trying to install a couple of times and getting the above blue screen error, I'm struggling to see the ssd in the bios anymore. Once in every 10 restarts it will appear in the bios.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks, ubuysa. The drive eventually appeared and I formatted the drive and started the install. However, 3% in I got a blue screen with a DPC Watchdog violation error...

Looking online suggests a hard drive driver issue?

You're right that the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION can be a driver error but that should absolutely not be the case during an install because you're running the WinPE install environment and that's about as bullet-proof as you get.

When you say you formatted the drive, did you delete ALL partitions on the drive and start again as I suggested?

willb2507

You're right that the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION can be a driver error but that should absolutely not be the case during an install because you're running the WinPE install environment and that's about as bullet-proof as you get.

When you say you formatted the drive, did you delete ALL partitions on the drive and start again as I suggested?

Oh, right, gotcha.

I believe I did. After deleting the old partitions there was only one whole 500gb 'unallocated space' where I put the install.

Now the problem is, I can't even get the bios or the installer to even recognise the ssd drive. Instead I get one drive showing up with 0.023mb of space, which I can't even delete or format with the UI or command line.

If it helps, the laptop came with an AMI aptio 4 motherboard... probably doesn't help at all haha. I am trying to find the optimal bios settings for the m2 ssd, but struggling to find any AMI specific sources. Any ideas? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh, right, gotcha.

I believe I did. After deleting the old partitions there was only one whole 500gb 'unallocated space' where I put the install.

Now the problem is, I can't even get the bios or the installer to even recognise the ssd drive. Instead I get one drive showing up with 0.023mb of space, which I can't even delete or format with the UI or command line.

If it helps, the laptop came with an AMI aptio 4 motherboard... probably doesn't help at all haha. I am trying to find the optimal bios settings for the m2 ssd, but struggling to find any AMI specific sources. Any ideas? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Once you've deleted all partitions, you then have to create a single partition with all the space and then install windows to that?

Did you create a partition out of the spare space or just install to the spare space?

willb2507

Once you've deleted all partitions, you then have to create a single partition with all the space and then install windows to that?

Did you create a partition out of the spare space or just install to the spare space?

You know what? The fact I am not sure is making me think I didn't create a new partition!!!!! I can remember thinking that I need a new partition, but I just don't remember if I did or not. But, considering the drive is showing next to no space, it makes sense to think it's just a hunk of un-allocated space.

Are there any steps I can take to recover from this?

P.s. I'm quite humbled at the amount of people offering their help here. Thank you!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You know what? The fact I am not sure is making me think I didn't create a new partition!!!!! I can remember thinking that I need a new partition, but I just don't remember if I did or not. But, considering the drive is showing next to no space, it makes sense to think it's just a hunk of un-allocated space.

Are there any steps I can take to recover from this?

P.s. I'm quite humbled at the amount of people offering their help here. Thank you!

So if you boot from the windows iso again? Does it register the drive in that?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
When I boot again, it shows one drive with ~1gb of space. I can't do anything to it via the interface or using diskpart.

You won't be able to outside of the windows iso, you'll need to start over and delete the current partitions from windows installer and then create one partition out of all the free space and install windows to that.

willb2507

You won't be able to outside of the windows iso, you'll need to start over and delete the current partitions from windows installer and then create one partition out of all the free space and install windows to that.

Oh, great! One question, though. How do I delete the partitions from the windows installer? The interface just shows the 1gb partition and nothing else. Using diskpart only shows only the 1gb drive and the usb drive.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh, great! One question, though. How do I delete the partitions from the windows installer? The interface just shows the 1gb partition and nothing else. Using diskpart only shows only the 1gb drive and the usb drive.

Can you take a screenshot and post it up here?

willb2507

Can you take a screenshot and post it up here?

Sure:

win10.jpg

Edit: I must note that if I click 'New' it brings up an error popup saying it cannot create a new one. If I try to delete in discpart, it says it cannnot delete it.

Last edited: