Windows 10 install hard drive not found

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sure:

View attachment 12547

Edit: I must note that if I click 'New' it brings up an error popup saying it cannot create a new one. If I try to delete in discpart, it says it cannnot delete it.

Hmmm, maybe it is borked then. I would contact PCS first thing tomorrow and point them to this thread.

I would try with gparted first as it’s probably the most versatile tool.

Last edited:

willb2507

Hmmm, maybe it is borked then. I would contact PCS first thing tomorrow and point them to this thread.

I would try with gparted first as it’s probably the most versatile tool.

I was afraid of that. I'm out of the country until Saturday, so going to have to wait until then.

Annoyingly, I tried to load gparted, but I'm unable to get it to load on the laptop because NVMe failures prevent it from booting. I get stuck on the initial Debian text screen

willb2507

If you want to wipe or put new partition on a drive gparted is a great tool: https://gparted.sourceforge.io/livecd.php

Thanks, Stephen, for your reply.

Annoyingly, I tried to load gparted, but I'm unable to get it to load on the laptop because NVMe failures prevent it from booting. I get stuck on the initial Debian text screen. This is the reason my Ubuntu was constantly crashing.

See my ask Ubuntu question that I asked and answered around a month ago: https://askubuntu.com/questions/109...l-to-boot-nvme0-failed-to-set-apst-feature-19

I was working ok until two days ago when it wouldn't stop crashing, it eventually became unbootable so I decided to try wiping it and replacing with Windows.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks, Stephen, for your reply.

Annoyingly, I tried to load gparted, but I'm unable to get it to load on the laptop because NVMe failures prevent it from booting. I get stuck on the initial Debian text screen. This is the reason my Ubuntu was constantly crashing.

See my ask Ubuntu question that I asked and answered around a month ago: https://askubuntu.com/questions/109...l-to-boot-nvme0-failed-to-set-apst-feature-19

I was working ok until two days ago when it wouldn't stop crashing, it eventually became unbootable so I decided to try wiping it and replacing with Windows.

What exactly do you mean by this? Gparted doesn’t need a drive to load as it loads outside of the os?

EDIT: Oh, does it need drivers to read the NVME?

Last edited:

willb2507

What exactly do you mean by this? Gparted doesn’t need a drive to load as it loads outside of the os?

EDIT: Oh, does it need drivers to read the NVME?

Honestly, I only tried it for about 20 minutes, it failed to progress from the initial boot Debian text, I tried a few of the troubleshooting linux parameter changes recommended on the gparted docs, but without any progress.

I probably was doing something obviously wrong, I was rather fed up with all the messing about by that point.

Before now and when I get back from holiday, I'll give it another go to see if I can get it to load and format the drive.

I'll let you know if I can get anywhere with it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Honestly, I only tried it for about 20 minutes, it failed to progress from the initial boot Debian text, I tried a few of the troubleshooting linux parameter changes recommended on the gparted docs, but without any progress.

I probably was doing something obviously wrong, I was rather fed up with all the messing about by that point.

Before now and when I get back from holiday, I'll give it another go to see if I can get it to load and format the drive.

I'll let you know if I can get anywhere with it.

My guess is that there are remnant partitions from linux install which windows partition manager won't pick up, but gparted will. These will all need to be deleted.

Then load the windows iso and create one partition from all the spare space and install to that.

The reason Linux may not have worked could well be graphics related rather than SSD.

Or, it is the drive that's borked, but I find that very unusual from these symptoms. The drive would either be available or not, it wouldn't just show up a portion of the available space, just doesn't make sense. It's more likely windows partition can't read the already partitioned areas.

willb2507

My guess is that there are remnant partitions from linux install which windows partition manager won't pick up, but gparted will. These will all need to be deleted.

Then load the windows iso and create one partition from all the spare space and install to that.

The reason Linux may not have worked could well be graphics related rather than SSD.

Or, it is the drive that's borked, but I find that very unusual from these symptoms. The drive would either be available or not, it wouldn't just show up a portion of the available space, just doesn't make sense. It's more likely windows partition can't read the already partitioned areas.

Thanks, SpyderTracks. Hopefully I can get gparted working. I actually just grabbed the live usb and booted it up and the error messages include some graphics related 'noveau' parts, and an eventual nmi watchdog hard lockup of the cpu. But that is probably for another forum to figure out :D

I'll try to keep plugging away and see if I can get anywhere this week.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks, SpyderTracks. Hopefully I can get gparted working. I actually just grabbed the live usb and booted it up and the error messages include some graphics related 'noveau' parts, and an eventual nmi watchdog hard lockup of the cpu. But that is probably for another forum to figure out :D

I'll try to keep plugging away and see if I can get anywhere this week.

We’ve got some strong Linux guys on here who can help out with getting Linux installed once you’ve got the ssd sorted.

All the best, keep us posted.

Stephen M

Author Level
I am beginning to think it is a drive problem, although would still expect gparted to show that, even if it just a corrupt drive warning and no other notes. As gparted is a live USB/CD it should boot without problem as it does not need resources from the host PC. What are you using to make the gparted USB as there are some things that are not the best. I do not know if unetbootin offers gparted but I would steer well clear of that.

willb2507

We’ve got some strong Linux guys on here who can help out with getting Linux installed once you’ve got the ssd sorted.

All the best, keep us posted.

Thanks, will do.

Linux would be my most ideal setup. I have another laptop with which I'm replying that runs Ubuntu. However, I've wasted many hours scouring the internet for solutions to the nvme issues I got when trying to get it to work on this setup that I'm resigned to just use Windows.

willb2507

I am beginning to think it is a drive problem, although would still expect gparted to show that, even if it just a corrupt drive warning and no other notes. As gparted is a live USB/CD it should boot without problem as it does not need resources from the host PC. What are you using to make the gparted USB as there are some things that are not the best. I do not know if unetbootin offers gparted but I would steer well clear of that.

I just realised I used the Linux disk image maker to create the bootable usb, which possibly is the problem.

Do you have a recommended usb maker programme? The two recommended ones on the gparted site just load blank for me on my Ubuntu laptop. God, I have some issues with my laptops haha.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just realised I used the Linux disk image maker to create the bootable usb, which possibly is the problem.

Do you have a recommended usb maker programme? The two recommended ones on the gparted site just load blank for me on my Ubuntu laptop. God, I have some issues with my laptops haha.

Stephen M is one of our Linux Gurus, he'll be able to help :)

Stephen M

Author Level
Unfortunately I use Disc Image Writer on Ubuntu which is no good for you at the moment. I have not used Windows for years so unsure what is available for that. If you can get a machine with Ubuntu on and working, it is just a right click on the iso wherever you have it stored and you will get drop down list of all drives it can see to choose where to write it.

willb2507

So I just rewrote the usb using the gparted recommended 'overwrite' method. Trying to run gparted now gives me a 'Fatal server error: Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices'.

willb2507

Unfortunately I use Disc Image Writer on Ubuntu which is no good for you at the moment. I have not used Windows for years so unsure what is available for that. If you can get a machine with Ubuntu on and working, it is just a right click on the iso wherever you have it stored and you will get drop down list of all drives it can see to choose where to write it.

Fortunately I have an older laptop with Ubuntu 18.04 on. I just also tried the Disk Image Writer method and it came up with the same 'frame buffer' error message. Doesn't seem to discriminate on the different ways to boot gparted. It comes up no matter what I click. The 'failsafe' mode gives me a 'Failed to boot' and drops to a basic shell.

Stephen M

Author Level
Afraid I have run out of ideas at the moment, if something crops up I will post again tomorrow, although phoning PCS is probably the best option now as it does seem the drive is kaput.

willb2507

I managed to load gparted via the terminal, here is a screenshot of the 'print' command. It looks like there is some drive issue, surely? Even using print free doesn't show the missing 499 gb on the nvme0n1 drive:
parted.jpg

willb2507

Afraid I have run out of ideas at the moment, if something crops up I will post again tomorrow, although phoning PCS is probably the best option now as it does seem the drive is kaput.

No problem. I just posted the output from gparted in the terminal and it just looks like the drive has gone.

Thank you for all your time and help. Really appreciated.

Stephen M

Author Level
I would agree that does look like a dead drive, annoying for you but at least there is something definite to work on now.