Skyfire 14" buzzing

Quantumplate

Hi
My Skyfire 14"I bought it 2014 just started making a very loud buzzing noise (like a hornets nest). It boots and seems to run ok, and the fan is running fine. I've had the back off and cleaned it out (I thought something could be fouling the fan) but it's still doing it. I can't work out where the noise is coming from so is the only other culprit the hard drive? It's my backup laptop and I'm rather fond of it!

Thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The easiest way to check the HDD is to run chkdsk /r on it. I'd strongly advise backing up all your user data on there before running chkdsk however - just in case.

The purists might not like this, but I'd stick a bit of card or a cocktail stick in a vent slot/hole to stop the fan rotating and then switch it on for a short time. If it doesn't buzz it was the fan.

Quantumplate

The easiest way to check the HDD is to run chkdsk /r on it. I'd strongly advise backing up all your user data on there before running chkdsk however - just in case.

The purists might not like this, but I'd stick a bit of card or a cocktail stick in a vent slot/hole to stop the fan rotating and then switch it on for a short time. If it doesn't buzz it was the fan.

Thanks for getting back Ubuysa,

I managed to get it sorted and it was the fan. I started it up with the cover off - I could feel vibrations on the fan case so I gave the fan a prod (I suppose I'm not a purist either) and it's right as rain now. It must have been unseated or something I guess.:)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for getting back Ubuysa,

I managed to get it sorted and it was the fan. I started it up with the cover off - I could feel vibrations on the fan case so I gave the fan a prod (I suppose I'm not a purist either) and it's right as rain now. It must have been unseated or something I guess.:)

More likely bearing wear. Keep an eye (or ear!) on it and if you hear it again I'd contact PCS about getting a new fan.