New GPU Won't Post - Sabertooth p67 Motherboard, Intel I7 2600k CPU

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Hi,

My build is:

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67
CPU: Intel I7 2600K (Overclocked @ 4.4GHz)
PSU: Corsair TX750
Current GPU: Powercolor HD6970
New GPU: Powercolor RX590 Red Devil
RAM: 16GB DDR3

I have tried to replace my GPU with the 'Powercolor RX590 Red Devil' however when I turn on the machine, the computer does not post and I do not hear any beeps from the motherboard at all. The GPU does however light up and the fans spin. Furthermore the hard drives spin up also, however the monitor is just black.

I have tied:

- Unplugging power connectors to my 2 Hard Drives and BluRay Drive to see if there is a power issue
- Tried different PCIe slot

My motherboard is set to UEFI Compatible boot mode but has PCIe 2.0 slots. The motherboard is also running the latest BIOS, however this is from 2012.

Is there anything else I could try?

Kind regards,

Reece

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

My build is:

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67
CPU: Intel I7 2600K (Overclocked @ 4.4GHz)
PSU: Corsair TX750
Current GPU: Powercolor HD6970
New GPU: Powercolor RX590 Red Devil
RAM: 16GB DDR3

I have tried to replace my GPU with the 'Powercolor RX590 Red Devil' however when I turn on the machine, the computer does not post and I do not hear any beeps from the motherboard at all. The GPU does however light up and the fans spin. Furthermore the hard drives spin up also, however the monitor is just black.

I have tied:

- Unplugging power connectors to my 2 Hard Drives and BluRay Drive to see if there is a power issue
- Tried different PCIe slot

My motherboard is set to UEFI Compatible boot mode but has PCIe 2.0 slots. The motherboard is also running the latest BIOS, however this is from 2012.

Is there anything else I could try?

Kind regards,

Reece

Do you have both the 6 pin and 8 pin power connectors fitted to the card?

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Hey SpyderTracks, yup, both are plugged in.

Since my HD6970 used a 8 and 6 pin I've just used exactly the same connectors.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey SpyderTracks, yup, both are plugged in.

Since my HD6970 used a 8 and 6 pin I've just used exactly the same connectors.

Ok, no problem there then.

I can’t imagine it’s a PSU issue as it’s plenty powerful enough.

Other things to check, try a different output on the graphics card (NOT MOTHERBOARD) sorry, but a lot of people get this wrong.

What connector are you using to the graphics card?

Make sure the monitor is on the right input.

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Hey thanks again.

I can confirm that I have plugged my monitor directly to the card. My motherboard upon inspection doesn’t actually have any video ports anyway.

I have actually just cleared the CMOS memory using the Jumper on the motherboard.

I then turned it back on and it posted into the BIOS.

However I then changed a few settings including the Boot option from Legacy BIOS to UEFI Compatible BIOS. I then restarted and got the same issue as before.

So I am now just clearing the CMOS again to see if I can get it to boot into the OS with just the default BIOS settings.

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
So I have tried to boot it into Windows 10 and it got to the Windows logo then went black.

I have tried booting into Ubuntu from a CD and again some text appeared then it went black.

I’m guessing there is an incompatibility issue with my motherboard. :(

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I was googling this yesterday and saw some people had issues with PCIe 2.0 boards and Vega GPUs, and some similar to what you describe with getting to Windows and then no video output.

Can you try with the old card again so you can get into Windows properly, and run DDU with the option it has for the installation of a new card? See if that plus the default BIOS options you mentioned helps at all?

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Thanks guys!

So I just tried booting into Windows again and after a few minutes it loaded fine. Not only that but every time I now restart Windows it loads normally with no delay.

It works fine now, I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have changed my BIOS settings back to how they were before the upgrade, but have left the boot option on the default of 'Legacy BIOS ROM' instead of 'UEFI Compatible BIOS ROM'.

It seems the issue was using the 'UEFI Compatible BIOS ROM' boot option in the BIOS. Can only assume it has something to do with the Secure Boot function of the GPU that is not fully supported by my Motherboard.

Thank you guys for helping out!

Always appreciate it! The PCS community rules!

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I wonder if Windows was having an update during the former black screens?

Either way, great to hear it's all sorted now :) And thanks for posting back too, could help others.

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Yeah I hoped it might possibly help someone else.

Hmm, I can't see any updates installed since 5 days ago. Not sure why the first boot took so long.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You can't change from Legacy to UEFI without a re-install of Windows (Well you can, but it's a PITA). My guess is this was your issue.

The UEFI uses a different way of loading the boot record from your OS. During the installation if UEFI is selected, it will generate a UEFI partition etc and run with it. If you then switch to Legacy, it won't work..... and vice versa.

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
FYI for anyone having a black screen when booting into Linux/Ubuntu I have found that you can do the following to get it working:

1. If when opening the BIOS boot menu to boot into an external device e.g. CD or USB you are able to see 2 versions of the OS you are booting into, one with EUFI and one without, choose the one without
2. Follow steps here to boot using 'nomodeset': https://askubuntu.com/questions/162...hat-options-do-i-have-to-fix-it/162076#162076
3. If installed the OS, follow steps here to prevent having to set 'nomodeset' again: https://askubuntu.com/questions/38780/how-do-i-set-nomodeset-after-ive-already-installed-ubuntu

Last edited: