Speed checkers

grovesey

I swear my PC is slowing down already - especially when loading documents. I have an SSD as my Windows OS, and data is kept on a separate internal drive. Computer is 12 months old in Feb 2019.

Does anyone know of a reliable speed checker, to find out why my machine might be under-peforming?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I swear my PC is slowing down already - especially when loading documents. I have an SSD as my Windows OS, and data is kept on a separate internal drive. Computer is 12 months old in Feb 2019.

Does anyone know of a reliable speed checker, to find out why my machine might be under-peforming?

What model SSD do you have as your main OS drive?

Usually, especially with windows 10, in place upgrades rather than full reinstalls will cause system slow downs.

You can check out Drive performance with crystaldiskmark, but of course you have no baseline to reference it to.

http://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
The problem is often less about Windows and more about the accumulation of rubbiish we ourselves install. Often times it's not even clear we've done it.

I would suggest that you open Task Manager (either press Ctrl + Alt + Del and launch from there, or right-click the task bar and launch from there).

Once in, at the moment, we're less interested in the point-in-time performance of the machine although it will highlight if you have anything pinching CPU or RAM at that time and more about the things it's loading at startup.

Click the Startup tab - take a look in there and you might be surprised by the sheer volume of things that start with Windows.

You can start to carefully trim some of them out.

These things not only slow the startup of your machine down but also, as they often just run in the background, take up resources.

After that, we can start delving into resource manager but for now, along with Spydertracks' advice, I'd start there.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Just to add to the above, you're not going to find a magic all-in-one PC 'speed checker' as these don't exist. Anything that claims to be one or that looks like it might be one isn't.

Avoid things like userbenchmark for example as the results and comparison to other systems they provide is extremely unreliable.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
+1 to both the above.

One useful thing you can do is to use the Windows Task Manager to check what runs at startup time. You can see these under the Start-up tab. Anything you're not sure you need disable from here and reboot.

Have you ever run any tune-up tools? Have you ever run a registry cleaner?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
+1 to both the above.

One useful thing you can do is to use the Windows Task Manager to check what runs at startup time. You can see these under the Start-up tab. Anything you're not sure you need disable from here and reboot.

Have you ever run any tune-up tools? Have you ever run a registry cleaner?

<<Cough>>

The problem is often less about Windows and more about the accumulation of rubbiish we ourselves install. Often times it's not even clear we've done it.

I would suggest that you open Task Manager (either press Ctrl + Alt + Del and launch from there, or right-click the task bar and launch from there).

Once in, at the moment, we're less interested in the point-in-time performance of the machine although it will highlight if you have anything pinching CPU or RAM at that time and more about the things it's loading at startup.

Click the Startup tab - take a look in there and you might be surprised by the sheer volume of things that start with Windows.

You can start to carefully trim some of them out.

These things not only slow the startup of your machine down but also, as they often just run in the background, take up resources.

After that, we can start delving into resource manager but for now, along with Spydertracks' advice, I'd start there.

[rollinglaugh]