Problem installing Manjaro Linux onto Optima IX with 1050 ti Nvidia Card

Hello,

I have purchased a new laptop from PCS (Optima IX) and it works great. However, I am having issues getting Manjaro Linux installed onto the 2nd half of the M.2 SSD.

I have never had issues before dual booting (I have even had 7 different Linux distros all booting alongside Windows before) - but this is the first time on a laptop with a nvidia GTX card and I beleive this is where the issue lies.

I have tried 6 Live USB images (that I know work) but all of them (Ubuntu, Manjaro, Deepin, Fedora, etc) have all crashed part way through the Live boot. So I cannot get any of them to boot at all from the live USB image.

It seems to be where the Live boot process tries to engage the graphic drivers and they clearly have issues with the 1050 ti.

I have seen other posts from people that have altered the install process because of this - but all of these have been with USB Images that have booted.

Does anyone know how I can get the Live USB image to boot, so i can at least use the Linux command line to alter the install process?

Thanks in advance.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Have a quick search through the forums - especially for posts by 'Stephen M' - he has offered advice on how to work around NVidia issues on more than one occasion.

@Tony1044 - thanks I will have a search for his post's.

So far I have found lots of posts where people have had this issue with the drivers. However, they all seem to have had a USB image that boots initially to allow them to modify the install using the command line.

I cannot get to this stage and haven't found any posts yet with my issue.

But I will have a search for Stephen M's posts to see what he has put.

Thanks

Stephen M

Author Level
usually going with nomodeset is enough to get the install going. The GPU driver should not be a problem initially as Ubuntu goes to the X.org nouveau drivers by default, it is only when you change to the nvidia drivers any problems kick in but they are simple to solve.

It is a couple of years since I installed Ubuntu on my Optimus and am no longer using it but it was possible. I either went straight to the install or took the try Ubuntu option then installed from there, I know one worked and the other did not but cannot remember which, sorry no to be much help.

Once you have an install there are possible problems once the nvidia GPU drivers are selected, one is a log in loop or possibly a black screen, maybe with some text at the top, if you get this open a tty window (ctrl+alt+f2) and run sudo purge nvidia*

On reboot you still may get a problem, this can be resolved by taking the log in with Ubuntu on Wayland, chosen by clicking the cog wheel icon next to the log in. That could also help with any initial problems before you have gone to the nvidia drivers.

I have installed Ubuntu on a machine with the 1050ti so know it will work.

Hope that has helped a bit, post back if you have any questions.