Sound Blaster 5 Fault

Express

Hello, I bought 17.3" Cosmos VII laptop a few month ago and recently started using headphones on it, after using headphones I pulled the cable out and laptop speakers became really quiet- seems that bass is gone completely and trebles are higher than usual. Shortly after noticing the fault(less than 5 min later) I received a message at the bottom right corner that Sound Blaster 5 got Updated click here to see whats new.... Or something similar. So the bass is gone and when I use VLC player for music when I press arrow key to skip 10 seconds of the song I am able to hear the song fast forward (or backward) like distorted fast sound if you know what I mean, where before when/while skipping was silent... I can record a video and upload a sample if you want to hear this happen. Are there any others having this issue or know what could be wrong any help would be appreciated.

I tried Restoring windows a couple of days back as I couldn't find Sound Blaster 5 on control panel... Restore did nothing regards the sound so I put it back to where it was..

I really don`t want to send a laptop for repair so I hope there is easy fix and if so do let me know.. Thanks.

Edit: It seems that I got the bass back trough custom settings on sound blaster connect software... but the issue with VLC distortion while skipping is still there.....

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It rather sounds as though the SoundBlaster update might be the root cause? Uninstalling the current driver and downloading and installing the latest driver might help.

How did you 'restore Windows' and then 'put it back to where it was'?

Express

yea your right I think it will be this updated version with a glitch, hopefully another update comes soon enough. I cant locate sound blaster in control panel, I already downloaded the version from PCS and tried installing it but nothing changes(may be because i didn't uninstall previous version). I got to say after playing with the settings of the sound blaster connect its cool that there are many equalizer like settings it really works. But VLC.. its still messed up but nothing major but still not as it should be..

A. Went to System Restore Then after it was done I went back there again and did Undo System Restore.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
yea your right I think it will be this updated version with a glitch, hopefully another update comes soon enough. I cant locate sound blaster in control panel, I already downloaded the version from PCS and tried installing it but nothing changes(may be because i didn't uninstall previous version). I got to say after playing with the settings of the sound blaster connect its cool that there are many equalizer like settings it really works. But VLC.. its still messed up but nothing major but still not as it should be..

A. Went to System Restore Then after it was done I went back there again and did Undo System Restore.

Ah, ok. :)

I would be tempted to fully uninstall all SoundBlaster software and drivers, I'd also fully uninstall VLC (and all settings), and then reboot. Then download the latest driver for your SoundBlaster kit from https://support.creative.com/Products/Products.aspx?catid=1 and install that. Then test to see whether it's working normally, if it is then download the latest version of VLC and test that.