Quick question

Kaleen

Just a quick question but I planning on buying the 15.6" Vyper laptop and I was wondering if i am able to open it up and take out the storage hard drive and replace it with my own?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just a quick question but I planning on buying the 15.6" Vyper laptop and I was wondering if i am able to open it up and take out the storage hard drive and replace it with my own?

Yes, PCS have an open chassis policy where you can replace or upgrade any components and it won’t affext the warranty so long as no damage results from your efforts.

Kaleen

Thank you, just means i dont need to spend an extra £49 on a 480GB when i have a 454GB one already ^^

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just be aware that you will have to reinstall Windows, you cannot use the Windows system off an old laptop/PC in your new laptop.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Just be aware that you will have to reinstall Windows, you cannot use the Windows system off an old laptop/PC in your new laptop.

It's worth noting that with an OEM license, this is true even if you have tied the license to a Microsoft Account. The OEM license is tied to the motherboard, so a change of either that component or a new machine requires a new license.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's worth noting that with an OEM license, this is true even if you have tied the license to a Microsoft Account. The OEM license is tied to the motherboard, so a change of either that component or a new machine requires a new license.

Agreed, but it wasn't the license I was thinking of. All the drivers and the installation config for the old system will be completely wrong for the new laptop. :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Agreed, but it wasn't the license I was thinking of. All the drivers and the installation config for the old system will be completely wrong for the new laptop. :)

It's a fair point but you know Windows has got crazy good at sorting itself out, other than you end up with a load of orphaned hardware.

More often that not now, the only thing that scuppers you doing it is the storage drivers but even that's less common thanks to the unified drivers for Intel and AMD chipsets.

I'm not advocating that approach in any way, shape, or form of course. I've done it a handful of times on servers where the hardware has gone pop and we've had no choice but to put the HDD's into something similar but not quite the same. This is another massive advantage of virtualisation of course - the guest OS is completely abstracted from the hardware so as long as you have a compatible hypervisor, you're away.