Octane VI & Windows 7

testman

Hello,

I'm thinking to buy Octane VI 15'' / Clevo P751TM1-G with 9700K or 9900K and RTX 2070 or RTX2080.
Wondering, has anyone experienced any problems with drivers for Windows 7 on your Octane VI or Octane V?

And I know that both Octane VI and Octane V correspond to Clevo P751TM1-G, therefore they have the same chipset.
I have googled the Clevo P751TM1-G specs and all websites claim it has Z370 chipset, and there are available drivers that make this chipset fully functional with Windows 7.
But I have no chance to try, as I don't have this laptop, and before I order it, I have to know if everything is fine with Windows 7 drivers for it or if there will be problems with some missing.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Before someone else asks - why Win 7?

And you know you need Win 10 (October 2018 version) for DXR right?

testman

Because I've been on Win8 for 4 years and got very tired of it, so the only remaining choice is going back to Win7.
Why would I need DXR? Plus anyway, as I found out this is a DX12 feature, and the latest DX available for Win7 is DX11 (thanks to the Microsoft being so much of "genius" during the last 7 years, no comments), so this is something definitely not for me.

Man anyway the topic is not about this :)

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There won’t be any win 7 drivers for any Clevo laptops coming out in the last year or so, very few manufacturers still cater for win 7 as its out of support in under a year.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You're buying a laptop specifically with an RTX card, and to use those features you'd need DXR. :)

Windows 7 will also stop getting security updates in less than 1 year, so you may need to resign yourself to Windows 10, or Linux I guess.

I'm not sure many Octane users here will have put an old OS onto their hardware, and I don't think anyone is going to encourage that either at this stage.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I put Win7 on the Octane III. Worked OK but you need to know what you are doing with the install in order to load up USB3.0 drivers and/or M2 SSD drives at boot (for the install to read from/write to).

I lasted about a week before relenting and going with Win10. Win10 for all it's faults is a decent OS. It's pretty solid to be honest and the built in AV is second to none. For the first time in around 10 years I've dropped Avast.

FWIW, it's night and day compared to Win8. Win8 is horrendous and one of the main reasons I wanted to try Win7 on the laptop.

testman

There won’t be any win 7 drivers for any Clevo laptops coming out in the last year or so, very few manufacturers still cater for win 7 as its out of support in under a year.

Not few.
And "There won’t be" is quite impossible because there are already. And I'm wondering if there are All drivers, or only something chipset-related is missing.

you need to know what you are doing with the install in order to load up USB3.0 drivers and/or M2 SSD drives at boot (for the install to read from/write to).
I lasted about a week before relenting and going with Win10. Win10 for all it's faults is a decent OS.
FWIW, it's night and day compared to Win8. Win8 is horrendous and one of the main reasons I wanted to try Win7 on the laptop.

Ofc I know. I already have a custom image with all this stuff plus the system is properly tweaked.

Well, that's a personal opinion and a matter of your experience and other.
My opinion and experience are as follows:
Win10 is Microsoft's lowest fall, and just an ugly (it's ugly design is just the top of the iceberg) garbage OS. Built-in AV is a useless sieve like all build-in Microsoft AVs.
Win7 is the best, Win8 follows, but just requires a bit of tweaking/customizing to bring it closer to Win7-like.

Windows 7 will also stop getting security updates in less than 1 year, so you may need to resign yourself to Windows 10, or Linux I guess.
I'm not sure many Octane users here will have put an old OS onto their hardware, and I don't think anyone is going to encourage that either at this stage.

Why does this scare everyone so much lol?
So weird to hear something like "stopping receiving updates, the system is dead, omg".
Win7 has been receiving tons of updates during its whole life, and got a lot of security stuff patched.
Plus the presens of brains and good habits on web, plus decent antivirus and firewall and skills to set them up and use them.
Without updates the systems can live many many years without any problems.

Win10? I'm not going to touch this shame again.
Linux - not an option.

I am one of them, I have Clevo P751DM2-G (corresponds to one of the earlier Octanes), running Windows 7 (after 2 years of experience with Windows 10).

(Going back to the topic)
And I am looking for others, who got Clevo P751TM1-G / Octane VI or V, could share their experience of setting up Windows 7 on it and tell if there are some drivers missing on web or everything is available.
Most important would be to know about the chipset/USB drivers, since I already know that all other drivers are available.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Why does this scare everyone so much lol?
So weird to hear something like "stopping receiving updates, the system is dead, omg".
Win7 has been receiving tons of updates during its whole life, and got a lot of security stuff patched.
Plus the presens of brains and good habits on web, plus decent antivirus and firewall and skills to set them up and use them.
Without updates the systems can live many many years without any problems.
It won't get patched for new vulnerabilities and threats. This has already been an issue for XP...

The very fact it has been getting security updates all its life is because people keep looking for (and finding) new ways to exploit it. They're not going to stop when MS stop updating it...

It's your life and your data (and your money) but you're not going to find much encouragement here to buy expensive hardware, put an old OS that doesn't even support its features on it, and put yourself at unnecessary risk into the bargain.

Last edited:

testman

It won't get patched for new vulnerabilities and threats. This has already been an issue for XP...
The very fact it has been getting security updates all its life is because people keep looking for (and finding) new ways to exploit it. They're not going to stop when MS stop updating it...
It's your life and your data (and your money) but you're not going to find much encouragement here to buy expensive hardware, put an old OS that doesn't even support its features on it, and put yourself at unnecessary risk into the bargain.

Even new vulnerabilities (or at least most of them and in most cases) could be covered by decent security software setup and good habits.
(Moreover Microsoft by themselves have almost stopped releasing updates during the recent 2-3 years, I mean the real updates. Maybe 1-2 per year. The rest (most of the recent years updates) is crapware with help of which they try to bring a part of the Win10-crap into Win7 and Win8. The filtered update-pack till up-to-2016 could be counted as a complete update pack).

This "old" OS is still the best one, the most stable one, with most of the software working the best on it, with the most beautiful design, and is still in use on a half of the machines in the world (could be much more if Microsoft were not scaring people (the majority of which were regular home-users) with bull**** like "unsupported hardware", stubborn win10-related annoyances and ads, and forcing to upgrade).

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Your arrogance and attitude have completely put me off of this thread. I would wish you luck but I sincerely hope your decisions bite you on the backside as it would be completely justified.

I don't think you will find many willing participants to your discussion with an attitude like that.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Honestly listen to yourself.

Windows AV is like a sieve
- citation needed.

Even new vulnerabilities (or at least most of them and in most cases) could be covered by decent security software setup and good habits.
Really? Again, citation needed but how do you propose this to be the case when security software vendors themselves start to abandon Windows 7? And they will.

Shall I tell you some of my personal "good habits"? I have a virtual machine. It is connected to the internet, but is on a completely segregated VLAN. It blocks ALL ports other than 443 and 80. It makes it almost unusable and I can only get onto it via the hypervisor console. It's quite painful to use, but it does mean if it gets infected, so what? I use it to sheepdip sites I am not aware of.

I don't use Facebook or WhatsApp etc and I do most of my searching with DuckDuckGo as opposed to Google.

I block most of MS' telemetry at my perimeter firewall. And I monitor the logs daily. By the way do you monitor your Windows Firewall logs? I know the answer to that is no, because they're not on by default and not many people even know that you can enable logging.

I have various scripts that fires off an email to tell me if someone logs into most of my systems.

I could go on.

But...and here's the rub - I still don't believe I have the best habits compared to others. Some of my habits are quite laborious and annoying, even to me. I don't judge myself to be better.

You are rude and arrogant and you don't appear to have come here asking for advice, so much as you've come here to pick a fight and prove you know much more than everyone else.

I do hope you will come back in a year or three when your shiny new laptop that with your massive intellect, you've managed to shoehorn Windows 7 onto to report how it's been compromised. Because it will be. I can almost guarantee it. Your arrogance and "I know best" attitude almost makes it pretty much inevitable.

You realise there's an old axim? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

There's also chronological error, here - you want to do things this way because you always have. Go ahead. It's fools like you and that attitude that keep me in work.

You are an entire cactus.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

That's just not true. What 'good habits' will protect you from Spectre/Meltdown?

(Moreover Microsoft by themselves have almost stopped releasing updates during the recent 2-3 years, I mean the real updates. Maybe 1-2 per year. The rest (most of the recent years updates) is crapware with help of which they try to bring a part of the Win10-crap into Win7 and Win8. The filtered update-pack till up-to-2016 could be counted as a complete update pack).

This is a joke isn't it? Are you really trying to tell us that you know the details of what every Windows update has done for the last 2-3 years?

This "old" OS is still the best one, the most stable one, with most of the software working the best on it, with the most beautiful design, and is still in use on a half of the machines in the world (could be much more if Microsoft were not scaring people (the majority of which were regular home-users) with bull**** like "unsupported hardware", stubborn win10-related annoyances and ads, and forcing to upgrade).

Wrong. Catastrophically wrong. You quite clearly have zero understanding of Windows internals, otherwise you'd appreciate the enormous wealth of performance, reliability, and stability improvements that Windows 10 contains over the (now frankly outdated) Windows 7. On top of that is the support for modern hardware contained in Windows 10 that's just not there in Windows 7. And that's without mentioning the host of new features that Windows 10 introduces.

People on here who have enormous experience have warned you that attempting to run Windows 7 on modern hardware is a mistake. It's probably doable but it's unwise in the extreme. You're free to ignore their sage advice and go your own way but don't try and claim that your choice is sensible or wise, because it's not. All your ranting has done is to reveal how little you actually know.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
That's just not true. What 'good habits' will protect you from Spectre/Meltdown?

This is a joke isn't it? Are you really trying to tell us that you know the details of what every Windows update has done for the last 2-3 years?

Wrong. Catastrophically wrong. You quite clearly have zero understanding of Windows internals, otherwise you'd appreciate the enormous wealth of performance, reliability, and stability improvements that Windows 10 contains over the (now frankly outdated) Windows 7. On top of that is the support for modern hardware contained in Windows 10 that's just not there in Windows 7. And that's without mentioning the host of new features that Windows 10 introduces.

People on here who have enormous experience have warned you that attempting to run Windows 7 on modern hardware is a mistake. It's probably doable but it's unwise in the extreme. You're free to ignore their sage advice and go your own way but don't try and claim that your choice is sensible or wise, because it's not. All your ranting has done is to reveal how little you actually know.

There are some days I wish I could give kudos/rep more than once. This is one of those days. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The OP has a distinct misunderstanding of what security patching is all about.

No amount of firewall or anti malware will protect against a zero day exploit on either the OS or networking hardware. The significance in the last 2 years of these exploits has been monumental and the global impact on not protected OS’s and firmware has been huge, just look at wannacry or any of the ransomware attacks that have broken through.

But the OP is not open to experience advising of the dangers. Unfortunately you can’t fix stupid.