Facebook again (and also Google...again!)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Dagnaggit - looks like I hit Ctrl V twice! Fixed the URL

Basically FB have abused a "development only" enterprise certificate from Apple to bypass the App Store and security checks to get people to install apps that gave them full access to every aspect of their phone and what they do on it - including photos.

They then bribed people including under 18's to install the software without getting proper consent.

And of course, being Facebook they then lied about it...

It seems Google were doing a similar thing but have pulled the app before they too were punished by Apple.

Unfortunately it doesn't stop people downloading the generic app.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dagnaggit - looks like I hit Ctrl V twice! Fixed the URL

Basically FB have abused a "development only" enterprise certificate from Apple to bypass the App Store and security checks to get people to install apps that gave them full access to every aspect of their phone and what they do on it - including photos.

They then bribed people including under 18's to install the software without getting proper consent.

And of course, being Facebook they then lied about it...

It seems Google were doing a similar thing but have pulled the app before they too were punished by Apple.

Unfortunately it doesn't stop people downloading the generic app.

Hmmm, I really think Facebook need a proper punishment, it's obvious they are knowingly doing these things with total disregard for their userbase.

They get a record fine, but to them it's absolute pittance that can be covered without even batting an eyelid. They need serious punishment that impacts their business and forces them to change.

What's more annoying is that most users don't understand the true impact of this sort of thing so keep their accounts open and don't think to edit privacy settings, most users will always use a platform with it's defaults.

I'm not sure how google keep getting away with it, their misdemeanours seem to go more unnoticed or certainly unpublished in the mainstream media (probably because they control so much of it).

We need serious laws against this kind of atrocity, we're talking section heads facing prison time and a large fine. It's the only thing that will make them realise there's no excuse anymore.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Totally agree. When FB say "we will do better" they just mean "we will do better at not getting caught".

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Totally agree. When FB say "we will do better" they just mean "we will do better at not getting caught".

Exactly, they’ve said that exact line pretty much monthly since they got caught with the Cambridge analytica scandal and that was a while ago.