Network cards missing possibly after update

daithi_dearg

Hello,

My Network card has gone walk about along with the Wifi.

I am using Ubuntu 18.04

From a "sudo lshw|grep product" it appears my machine is N7x0WU. If there is another command that I can run to give more information I can do that.

From a "sudo lshw -c Network" I can see my Network Card is "RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller" from Realtek

I thought that I might be able to reinstall drivers to get this working but I'm not have much success. Bear in mind that I don't have a Network so I'm fairly stuck.

Hope someone has some ideas.

Thanks,
David

Stephen M

Author Level
I had a similar problem a while back but after a shutdown and Reboot the network was back. No idea what happened though so afraid cannot offer more help.

davidnewton523

I had the same problem...
I'm dual booting mint 19.2 and win10
I tried updating kernels from 4.15 through 5.2, to 5.4 -made no difference.

However resetting to bios defaults seems to fix it and the wifi adapter comes back to life on next boot.

If it helps, my spec:
Tongfang GK5CP6Z
v N.1.03
06/27/2019

I hope theres a new bios update somewhere for this model too :(

MfromF

I remember some probs in Debian Jessie with this network card. Solution was to install the producer's driver which luckyly was in the non-free repo.

For Ubuntu edit /etc/apt/sources.list and add "universe" after "main restricted" in the line beginning with "deb http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic" . Then "$sudo apt update" and "$sudo apt install r8168-dkms". That should replace the driver from the "main" repo with those of the "universe" which should be the one from the producer.

I'm just a bit confused, because 18.04 should not contain that prob anymore. But I'm not too deep into Ubuntu ...

drgr33n

Make sure you have the dkms version of the driver installed. If so, post again with the output of the following commands and someone will be able to help you for sure.

dkms status
lspci
lsusb

If you could dpaste your boot logs that would help a lot.