Hey

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I kinda wish someone would do a 'history of computing' course. Now THAT I could really help with because I lived and worked through most of it!! :D

It's quite scary when you look at the rate of progress.

I did my electrical and electronics engineering degree oh about 30 years ago now. I knew the guy who's thesis was creating the first multi-layer PCB.

Surface mounted devices were still only in a lab and the voltages we consider a firm binary 1 these days wouldn't even have registered as leakage back then.

I remember the first time I got my hands on a programmable PIC - what witchcraft was this??

We studied Intel's first CPU - the mask was just about readable printed out on an A3 sheet! To be fair, it might've been A2 - it just dawns on me that the time passed since we did this is almost double the time that had passed between Intel releasing it and us dissecting it.

Dang I feel old.

But what a time, eh? I saw the birth of home computing and seeing Microsoft's vision of a PC in every home become true, to where we are now - we have a massively powerful computer in our pockets that also happens to be able to make calls and take photographs.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Dang I feel old.

I don't know about you but I am old. Chronologically anyway, inside I'm still a kid. I feel hugely privileged though, I've lived through the cold war, the space race, seen man stand on the moon, and lived (and worked) through the computing and Internet revolution. Historians of the future will wonder what it must have been like to live through the massive strides made in the second half of the 20th Century....

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
They'll have little time for wondering from inside the alien slave camps.

But more seriously, one can only wonder at what the next 50 decades have in store. "Surely not as much as the last 50" is probably what many thought in 1912.

Hi, I'm 2nd year Maths and CS.
And by the way, welcome :)