Bought this but was wondering if i should change cpu to i9-9900k for gaming/streaming

zacbro

Case
COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500M GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700 (3.2GHz) 12MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs, WIFI - RGB Ready

Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

2nd Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE

Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i PRO Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans

Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND

LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip

Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)

USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Budget is around £3000

I have the AOC G2590PX 24.5" 144Hz Gaming Monitor

polycrac

Rising Star
Hi Zacbro,

If you amend the order, the top of my list for changes would be:

Dropping to 16gb RAM (and maybe upping to 3200MHz) (32gb is overkill, better less and faster)

Dropping from the 'pro' drive to a regular 7200rpm HDD (no major difference and saves money to boost the other drive)

Getting rid of the Samsung 860 SSD and getting a M.2 NVMe like the 970 instead (much faster)

Upping the PSU the the RXM850 (more headroom for upgrades and better quality, plus fully modular)

Finally, I would look again at your GPU/screen combo. The GPU you have picked is way, way overkill for a full hd screen. Drop to the RTX270 or similar and get a 1440p, 144hz gsync screen with the savings!

If you need a little more money the 2700x AMD processor might be a good compromise - a higher res screen squeezes down the fps differences between processors and if you are streaming while gaming the extra threads are a big bonus. If you went this route you could also drop the CPU cooler a little, at least to the H100.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
As above, the build is not very balanced, overspending on a lot of things for little benefit, missing out on some others. A better monitor to make use of a build of this budget seems essential.

Also that Samsung is an 860 Qvo, not Evo. It uses QLC NAND and is slowe than the evo range. I'd probably buy a WD Blue over it tbh