Laptop fan running very loudly

timmo08

Hi, a problem that has been around for a while and is getting worse. The fan starts to run very loudly after the machine has been on barely 10 minutes. Sometimes it turns off, often the laptop hangs completely. Machine was bought from you about 18 months ago, used regularly but not daily, is not in a particularly dirty or dusty environment. Fan just fired up now but hopefully will allow me to complete the post !
Any thoughts please ?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi, a problem that has been around for a while and is getting worse. The fan starts to run very loudly after the machine has been on barely 10 minutes. Sometimes it turns off, often the laptop hangs completely. Machine was bought from you about 18 months ago, used regularly but not daily, is not in a particularly dirty or dusty environment. Fan just fired up now but hopefully will allow me to complete the post !
Any thoughts please ?

Have you checked temps?

Have you cleaned it since you got it?

It may require a repaste.

timmo08

Thanks for the reply. No to both of those, never had to do that with any other laptop. Not sure what a repaste is ?
Regards

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the reply. No to both of those, never had to do that with any other laptop. Not sure what a repaste is ?
Regards

ALL laptops need cleaning every now and then. Some will go for a year or so whilst others need a clean every six months - regardless of how clean your home/office is. The fan doesn't just draw air in, it sucks in dust and fluff and this gets jammed in the finned heat exchanger which sits right next to the fan. You need a perfect airflow through the heat exchanger because that's where all the cooling is done.

If the fan is running fast and loud the first thing to do is check the temperatures. I like HWMonitor (free) for that, so install that and see what the temperatures look like under load (and when the fan is running loud). TBH after 18 months it's probably worth opening it up and cleaning it in any case.

A repaste means removing the heatsinks from the CPU/GPU, cleaning the surfaces and re-applying thermal conductive paste before re-fitting the heatsinks. The thermal pasts conducts the heat away from the CPU/GPU to the heatsink and thus to the heat exchanger (via copper heat pipes). Generally thermal paste, if applied properly, lasts for many years but it's not that unusual for it to fail early. If your temps are high under load even after you've cleaned the laptop it may need a repaste.

timmo08

Thanks, been using laptops for work for 20 years but never had to have them opened up for cleaning. If that were so significant I'd have thought the filters would be better designed but hey ho, that's hardware for you. I'll take a look at that temperature app and at cleaning one way or another. Advice appreciated, I'll let you know what happens.

timmo08

Well looking at HW monitor the processor temps at first start in the low 60s celsius, min 53 max 69. Fan comes on and they drop to high 30s, low 40s. Hard disk is constant at 30. Not sure what else to look for ?
ABout 20 mins later fan came on loudly, processor up to high 60s max of 71, HD at 33. Gradually processor dropped to mid 50s,

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well looking at HW monitor the processor temps at first start in the low 60s celsius, min 53 max 69. Fan comes on and they drop to high 30s, low 40s. Hard disk is constant at 30. Not sure what else to look for ?
About 20 mins later fan came on loudly, processor up to high 60s max of 71, HD at 33. Gradually processor dropped to mid 50s,

If these temperatures are when the laptop is idle they're too high for comfort.

It would be handy to know the temperatures both at idle and when under load.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It is also equally important to monitor your gpu usage and temps at the same time.

It’s possible you have a crypto virus.

timmo08

Hi Thanks for your replies. Matters have been improved somewhat by using a better stand with more ventilation . The fan runs loudly much less often and hasn't crashed (yet). Will see how it goes but thankfully I'm off on hols soon and won't have to use it :).