First time battery charge

Mulligan

Silver Level Poster
Hi, I just received a new Octane VI, I'm reading conflicting information on the first time battery charge. I'll leave it charging for 24hrs but can I use it during the first charge or will that harm the battery life?

Thanks!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It won't harm the battery life if you use if during the first charge, it will just take longer to charge. IMO there is a of of tosh and nonsense talked about battery life and charging regimes with Li-Ion batteries. I'm no battery expert but I do know that the number one enemy of Li-Ion batteries is heat, so any complex charging arrangements you implement will be rendered useless if you let the battery get hot.

A laptop cooling pad is good for the life of the battery as well as the laptop. All that said, the battery is a consumable and it's always going to die long before the rest of the laptop does not matter what you do.

My advice would be to plug it in to the charger and enjoy using it. It's a tool not an ornament! :)

Mulligan

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for the response. I went ahead and started it up last night, as you say no need to a precious about batteries as we did 10 years ago.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
My advice would be to plug it in to the charger and enjoy using it. It's a tool not an ornament! :)

This! I cannot agree with this any more.

Ultimately, all these people who are saying things like only charge the battery to 80% are all saying they know more than the multitude of R&D scientists and electronics design engineers who have designed the batteries and what are now complex charging circuits.

Back in the day of Nickle Cadmium, it was as simple as throwing roughly 1-1.5V more than than the cell voltage across the terminals and it'd charge.

You could add in some heat-sensors which were also common in Nickle Metal Hydride.

Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer are a LOT more complicated and personally I just don't worry about.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the response. I went ahead and started it up last night, as you say no need to a precious about batteries as we did 10 years ago.

Inded no, Li-Ion is a different beast altogether from NiCad as Tony1044 has mentioned. TBH the battery is a consumable and you may as well get used to that. :)