Please help me with my Octane VI 17" purchase.

Suvam4549

I am planning to get the Octane VI 17". Rtx 2070 is more than enough for me and I have opted for i7 9700k as my processor.
1. There is a option to get either 1 or 2x 330w power bricks for the laptop. I know all these power hungry chips might need a lot more than just 330w (Or I'm wrong?). My question is, does the the laptop have 2 charging ports for connecting to 2 power bricks at once? Or two bricks are combined and feed current to the laptop on 1 cable?
2. Then, the option 1x1/2x1 metre power cable suggest the length of the cable, right? I mean does 2x1 metre cable mean one 2 metre cable or two 1 metre cables?
3. Now, coming to the 82 whr battery.. Do I need a backup battery? Have the batteries in the previous PCS laptops failed on you?
4. Not worried much about the processor but I saw that 91°C temperarure on a PCS laptop w/ 2080 gpu. I am terrified. Won't temperatures that high deteriorate the gpu real fast?
5. Can I delid and apply liquid metal on that CPU later if I wish? Also, is the application of liquid metal on the GPU worth it?
6. Can anyone send me/or provide source of some pictures showcasing this particular laptop's cooling system?
I know some of these questions may sound dumb but I am new. So hope you don't mind answering.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
1. There is a option to get either 1 or 2x 330w power bricks for the laptop. I know all these power hungry chips might need a lot more than just 330w (Or I'm wrong?). My question is, does the the laptop have 2 charging ports for connecting to 2 power bricks at once? Or two bricks are combined and feed current to the laptop on 1 cable?
Neither. The laptop uses 1. You can buy 2 to have a spare (e.g. 1 for home, 1 for the office)

2. Then, the option 1x1/2x1 metre power cable suggest the length of the cable, right? I mean does 2x1 metre cable mean one 2 metre cable or two 1 metre cables?
two cables

3. Now, coming to the 82 whr battery.. Do I need a backup battery? Have the batteries in the previous PCS laptops failed on you?
No and no. Also spare parts are sold by PCS after the purchase, often for quite some time into the future.

4. Not worried much about the processor but I saw that 91°C temperarure on a PCS laptop w/ 2080 gpu. I am terrified. Won't temperatures that high deteriorate the gpu real fast?
GPU temps haven't generally been an issue for the chassis in the past but you can always look up reviews of the Clevo chassis it's based on for a wider spread: P775TM1-G

5. Can I delid and apply liquid metal on that CPU later if I wish? Also, is the application of liquid metal on the GPU worth it?
You can delid the CPU but it'll void the warranty, natch...

6. Can anyone send me/or provide source of some pictures showcasing this particular laptop's cooling system?I know some of these questions may sound dumb but I am new. So hope you don't mind answering.
Googling the clevo chassis number may get you results faster there

Suvam4549

Thank you so much for replying! But I still have a question. If usual desktop systems need 650w PSU for a system as powerful, how can the laptop operate at only 330w max? Maybe I am wrong but don't the power bricks serve as PSUs in laptops?
Also, do I need two cables (Q.2).

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Also, do I need two cables (Q.2).
I dunno, do you? :) The laptop only uses 1 at a time, depends if you need a spare kettle lead

hank you so much for replying! But I still have a question. If usual desktop systems need 650w PSU for a system as powerful, how can the laptop operate at only 330w max? Maybe I am wrong but don't the power bricks serve as PSUs in laptops?
The GPUs are lower power than desktop equivalents. Though lower clock speeds, maybe more efficient chips, and in the case of CPUs, different power limitations / reduced TDP.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
No idea either. It looks like it was a spike at the very, very end on the GPU-Z screenshot. It was much lower most of the time.