Octane VI fan vibration/resonance

Hey all,

I recently purchased an Octane VI laptop (i9-9700K / 2080) and while I'm very pleased with the unit overall, there is an annoying issue with the fans causing a strange vibration or reasonance when at say 80% speed. It's not constant, more a stop-start sin wave kind of effect. It's very annoying and it seems to be making my whole desk vibrate too so I can hear it as well as feel it in my WASD hand. Does anyone else know of this issue, and know anything I can do to remedy it? Activating the 'Full Fan' mode (Fn + 1) shows it up but at a different frequency than the previous level (which is most evident when playing Assasin's Creed Odyssey, which roundly abuses both CPU and GPU).

Thanks in advance
Mike

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hey all,

I recently purchased an Octane VI laptop (i9-9700K / 2080) and while I'm very pleased with the unit overall, there is an annoying issue with the fans causing a strange vibration or reasonance when at say 80% speed. It's not constant, more a stop-start sin wave kind of effect. It's very annoying and it seems to be making my whole desk vibrate too so I can hear it as well as feel it in my WASD hand. Does anyone else know of this issue, and know anything I can do to remedy it? Activating the 'Full Fan' mode (Fn + 1) shows it up but at a different frequency than the previous level (which is most evident when playing Assasin's Creed Odyssey, which roundly abuses both CPU and GPU).

Thanks in advance
Mike

I wonder whether the fan has been installed poorly? It might be worth opening it up to make sure the fan is properly located and screwed down. If that looks good then give PCS a call and talk it over with them.

Stephen M

Author Level
Agree with above. Have had two Octanes and while they have both had the fans flat out many times the only noise has been normal fan noise, yours does seem to be a poorly seated fan or other problem. There are quite a few Octane users on here and that is not a problem I have seen before so you have been very unlucky to get the first but PCS are very good and they should sort things quickly for you. Hope it works out ok, let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the replies.

I've taken the back off the machine and had a go at the screws securing the fans in. I gave them a quick tighten (although they were pretty well done up to begin with) and it didn't resolve the problem. I'll give PCS a mail and see what they suggest. Don't really relish the thought of having to send it back already though, it's otherwise fantastic.

I'll update here as/when I hear back from PCS.

Portochelo

Thanks for the replies.

I've taken the back off the machine and had a go at the screws securing the fans in. I gave them a quick tighten (although they were pretty well done up to begin with) and it didn't resolve the problem. I'll give PCS a mail and see what they suggest. Don't really relish the thought of having to send it back already though, it's otherwise fantastic.

I'll update here as/when I hear back from PCS.

Hi Mechorpheus Did you receive any reply from PCS, or solve the problem? I´m about to buy an Octane VI and I´m pretty worried about the noises to be honest. That´s why I found your post searching the Forum. Beside of that, Do you recomend 100% the purchase? Thanks for your coments!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi Mechorpheus Did you receive any reply from PCS, or solve the problem? I´m about to buy an Octane VI and I´m pretty worried about the noises to be honest. That´s why I found your post searching the Forum. Beside of that, Do you recomend 100% the purchase? Thanks for your coments!

This is a one off, there have been zero other reports. It’s likely dodgy bearings on the fan, just needs swapping out.