Octane VI for Adobe CC

isaac buckton

Hi,

I've just ordered this machine to be my main on-location edit suite. Mainly using it for Premiere Pro and After Effects.

I'm jumping from OSX (after 10 years) back to windows.

I'm slightly concerned the machine my struggle with heat and be strangled as a result.

Can anyone give me any feedback on similar issues, using similar software.

Also, can anyone recommend software to help monitor the machines temps, power, clock speed etc...

Rig below...

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 15.6" Matte 4K IPS 60Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (3840x2160) (No G-Sync)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 330W AC Adaptor
Battery
Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS, 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS, 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
OCTANE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [MUP-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
Microsoft® Office Home & Student 2019 (1 Digital License)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MP FULL HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Stephen M

Author Level
Firstly, if you are spending that much on a machine the five quid Silver Warranty is worth it. I have had two Octanes but both with the i7 so have no direct experience of the i9 in one, it is run on a lower wattage than in a desk top but I would still have heat worries with it, it is a notoriously hot chip and you have the smaller chassis with the 15.6, that will not make a massive amount of difference but will impede cooling as compared to the 17" a little. I would certainly want a good cooling pad with that set up. My 17" i7s have been put through a fair bit and the cooling in general is very good but still not sure it would be good enough for the i9.

Also, is it worth getting a 4k screen on a 15.6" machine, I realise with your work you want the best definition but once the screen size drops down it is often difficult/almost impossible to gain anything from the 4k.

Sorry cannot help with sensors as am a Linux user and use pSensor which is not cross platform.

isaac buckton

Thanks for the reply Stephen, I will take your advice and will definitely add the extra warranty. I will certainly be getting a cooling pad, hopefully as I wont be gaming there wont be too many prolonged stretches of intensive Processor/GFX processing happening, just a low bubbling grunt that makes editing smooth with them ramping up during renders.

As for the 4k screen, I disagree. After looking at retina displays for the last 5 years or so, going back to 1080 panels is not possible. I need the res, especially when editing 4k content. Checking focus on the screen will be important.

Fingers crossed that I dont melt the laptop on my first edit...

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
There's always undervolting the CPU if you want to further reduce temps. Undervolting has been pretty popular among uses of these chassis since the 6700k.

I find HWinfo useful for logging data. You'll also use Clevo Control Centre, which comes with the laptop, to manage fan speeds and it includes some monitoring info too.

Do you actually need office software? You're buying the basic package which is £122 for office, excel, and powerpoint. You can get Open Office for free which includes equivalent software and more. Or Libre Office.

You can always download them for your current mac and see how you find them since they cost you nothing and could save you giving Microsoft £122 for nothing.

I'd also suggest swapping the SSD to the WD Blue rather than the QVO. As far as I can tell, it's faster overall. The QVO uses QLC NAND and isn't very fast even though it has that shiny Samsung label.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13633/the-samsung-860-qvo-ssd-review/2

If you didn't already buy it, consider the dead pixel guarantee. A dead pixel isn't necessarily a fault.. thanks to panel manufacturers having stitched up the industry standards...

Last edited: