Possible Root Causes for Multiple Problems - Recoil II

TheDoctor0587

Hi folks,

I just received my Recoil II 15" today.

Key spec: GTX1060 / 2GB HDD / 500GB Evo 970 SSD / 144Hz panel

After activating windows and updating the graphics driver I booted into the BIOS to alter the boot sequence.

Following that, I got stuck in loop where Windows wouldn't boot and I came back to the BIOS screen. At this stage the keyboard was unresponsive and unilluminated. An external keyboard was intermittently responsive.

Eventually took the back panel off an disconnected / reconnected the battery to clear the CMOS settings.

After that it started OK, but the keyboard was producing random characters - like # when hitting the main enter key.

Shut it down, and came back to it after 20mins, everything working fine. 20mins later the keyboard lights go out and it stops responding.

I get the feeling it's hardware related - possibly a faulty keyboard / USB controller (given the external one was dodgy too) and something's coming loose on heating.

I've contacted tech support at PCS but was wondering if any of you guys have suggestions that I could try without needing to send it back in the first instance!

Bit gutted, but hopefully I can get it sorted soon.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Get hold of a Linux distro and boot that. Don't install it just run it off the installation media. Performance will be poor but you should be able to tell whether you still get the random errors you're seeing.

If you still get these random errors then it's likely to be hardware.

If you don't get them then try a completely clean install of Windows and the drivers (let Windows Update install those) and see how it is then.

If you want to skip the Linux test then just do a clean install of Windows and see whether that sorts it?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
To be honest it sounds very much like hardware anyway if the keys on both built in, and an external keyboard are unresponsive getting into the BIOS.

Ubuysa's troubleshooting is still valid though as it entirely rules out the operating system and drivers by using a completely different OS to the one installed (Linux vs Windows).

<Edit>: I should just point out that the reason I think it sounds like hardware is that when you plug in an external keyboard, it doesn't disable the built in keyboard and what you're describing sounds very much like the internal keyboard / controller is having problems, possibly thinking a key is held down etc.

TheDoctor0587

I tried booting the windows installation USB and some other live USB distros of Linux - in no situation would it boot - just dropped back to the BIOS. On the occasions it's booted, the keyboard backlighting has come on. Each time it BIOS loops the backlight is off. I've had other machines where the POST fails without a keyboard and it opens the BIOS.

I'd try checking the keyboard connector but, as mentioned it seems to be the controller itself as an external keyboard also plays up (and I don't know where the connector is in the chassis!

It's obviously still in the C&R warranty period so looks like I'll be sending it back. Hopefully the mainboard won't need replaced as I'll need a new windows code (running OEM).

:wacko:

TheDoctor0587

Will definitely give it a try tonight - but i can't see how it explains the keyboard not working in the BIOS Aptio Setup Utility, or the random cutout while windows was running.

Although I guess stranger things happen - suppose the control centre stuff may have corrupted a driver.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Will definitely give it a try tonight - but i can't see how it explains the keyboard not working in the BIOS Aptio Setup Utility, or the random cutout while windows was running.

Although I guess stranger things happen - suppose the control centre stuff may have corrupted a driver.

No...I am with you. If it's failing in the BIOS it rather suggests hardware.