4k Video Editing and Gaming build

Bezmond

Been a mac user for the last decade, but looking to switch over to a PC build for my next editing workstation. I would like the bonus of PC gaming as well as being able to edit 1080p and 4k video nice and smoothly with Premiere Pro (sometimes large projects!). I also use After Effects a fair bit and am considering some future dabbling in Cinema 4D. My monitors will be a 3440 x 1440 LG to start, with two AOC FHD IPS monitors (one either side). I will probably upgrade this in the future to 1 x large UHD 4k monitor (40" or so) plus two control monitors.

I've played about and done a bit of research over the last week or two and have come up with the below build. If any kind-hearted PC experts could cast an eye over and point out my glaring mistakes etc, it would be much appreciated. I'm looking at around £3k all in for the build, but am a little flexible... just want to get the best, most future-proof machine I can for my budget! Don't we all...

Case
FRACTAL FOCUS G BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
Get Just Cause 4, PUBG & More w/ select Intel CPUs!
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR4 3000MHz (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
Get Battlefield V -AND- Anthem with select NVIDIA GeForce RTX GPUs!
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive
6TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100x Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound Card
ASUS STRIX Soar 7.1 PCIe sound card
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Firefox™
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days
Quantity

Price £3,296.00 including VAT and Delivery

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is it coz I is Mac?

Hello! No, we have nothing against MAC users. :)

These fora are not an official support or pre-sales channel and most of us on here don't work for PCS. We're all just PCS customers with a wide range of skills, experience, and knowledge. I'm not the hardware guru on here by a long way but it's most likely that nobody is familiar enough with the demands of the video editing tools you plan to use and what their hardware demands are like.

Personally I don't see anything that looks underpowered there, my only concern would be whether you've overspecced it at all? I'm assuming you know whether your video editors can make use of all those CPU cores? Make sure you're not paying for motherboard features you might not need as well. Clearly you have thought about whether you really need 64GB of RAM, though for 4k video editing it doesn't sound unreasonable. I assume you also have a plan for the storage configuration? The NVMe SSD is obviously for Windows and programs, plus work files for the video editors? 1TB is a lot for Windows and programs alone. The slower SATA SSD is I assume also for video editor work files?

Sorry I can't be of more concrete help but I'm more of a systems and software guy. Hopefully one of the hardware gurus will be along top offer their sage advice. :)

Bezmond

Thanks ubuysa!

Yea, I've just had someone else tell me my storage might need a tweak as could be slightly overkill. I'm editing myself, but having only worked on Mac previously I have no idea regarding the cores etc (other than the semi-absorbed internet research I've done in the last few weeks). I was thinking the 2080TI would be the best bet for future-proofing, especially if I start playing with 3D software such as Cinema 4D, but again, I may be going overboard... I guess I'm just consciously trying to get the fastest/best set-up I can for the budget without knowing if I'll ever use it to it's full potential.

I sent this spec to PCS and they said it looked like a great machine for 4k video editing, but no advice at all in regards to my possible over-spec etc.

I shall await a hardware guru to give it the once over before hitting "purchase".

Cheers ;)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The build generally seems fine though there are a few comments / concerns

Do you already own those monitors?

The case is pretty budget for this kind of hardware. If looking to maximise on airflow and keep temps as low as possible I'd probably suggest the Corsair Carbide Air 540.

The QVO SSD isn't very good and shouldn't be confused with the Evo series. The WB Blue is faster.

Normally I'd say the Pro HDDs aren't remotely worth it. However, PCS seem to have stopped selling 7200rpm drives for capacities over 3TB at the moment... but still, you're paying £70+ for a faster drive that I'm assuming you're using for bulk storage rather than working directly off. May not be worth it.

Drop the sound card. The motherboard already has decent 7.1 onboard sound. If you decide you need something different after purchase, you might find what you need isn't a 'gamer' branded/marketed sound card.

Do you need that wifi card? Drop it if not, but if you do need it maybe get the AC1200 for the 5GHz band option.