Recoil II Windows 10 activation issues

adabri

I received the laptop today and promptly tried to activate my copy of Windows 10 home before I noticed pro had originally been installed by PCS. Basically I can't activate it because the error states " We can't activate windows on this device because the previous version of Windows was not activated prior to upgrading to Windows 10. Got to the store to buy genuine Windows. Error code 0x803F7001"

I have spent hours on Google trying different commands and generic keys for both versions and it won't activate my copy no matter what I try. For the record it's a genuine key I have which was purchased years ago.

If anyone can think of a fix please let me know. I really dont want to jump through hoops with Microsoft support when I've never had an issue with this before.

I have raised a ticket with PCS support as well.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So you ordered the PC without windows?

And you’re trying to activate the preinstalled test copy directly or you’ve installed your own copy?

If you've done a clean install, it sounds like you didn't delete all partitions correctly when setting up windows?

Are you installing from a latest ISO from MS, or an old disc image on a CD or something?

Really need more information.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As above, if you order it without an OS you cannot use the copy of Windows installed for testing purposed by PCS unless it's the same version you have a license for. In any case, I always advise against using the PCS test copy of Windows because you don't know whether it's complete. If you order without an OS then you should always delete all partitions on the system drive and clean install your own copy of Windows (or Linux).

adabri

Hi. I have my own copy of Windows. I tried to change the product key initially and that didn't work so I did a fresh install and still no joy. It just keeps saying that the previous version needs activating. Support emailed me a workaround earlier so will try that later.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi. I have my own copy of Windows. I tried to change the product key initially and that didn't work so I did a fresh install and still no joy. It just keeps saying that the previous version needs activating. Support emailed me a workaround earlier so will try that later.

It sounds like when you fresh installed, you didn't delete the existing partitions. You have to manually remove all partitions before creating a new one to install windows on.