Remember kids, Apple software is 100% safe 100% of the time, unlike its competitors.

Gorman

Author Level
oh, wait.....

ITunes accounts linked to Paypal have been targeted in a scam with a number of users complaining that they have been cleaned out.

Apple and Paypal refused to discuss the details of the incident.

"My iTunes account just got hacked and someone made about $700 worth of purchases. I contacted Paypal and they said Apple has gotten so many attacks since June, they can barely keep up with reporting them all."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11065301

This is really not Apple's year is it. Turns out when you leave a safety blanket of obscurity the big bad world is ready to tear you a new one.

If it wasnt for the arrogance of the "get a mac" campaign and a very vocal portion of their userbase i wouldnt be enjoying all this half as much.

Matt

Bright Spark
That sucks man. Gotta feel for those people though, just imagine having £400 taken from your account.

Frank

Bronze Level Poster
gotta remember, when online, no matter what the platform or OS, always rubber up... no that's wrong... umm just say no? umm er

er, be careful? yes, that sounds ok.

I've used a heap of different kit over the years and have managed to be compromised at some point on all of em, and im a fairly careful chap.

Im now starting to get concerned about android... hear there's some nasty scamming happening in some apps.

As to Mac Os's Ive have virus (yes the do exist) and the equivalent of BSOD's, so no-one is immune.

Not even you...yeah, you.

rgds

F

Gorman

Author Level
Very true Frank,

However there is no info on it being phishing or any type of malware as yet. It seems to be just itunes thats got another huge hole in it.

Frank

Bronze Level Poster
There are some malicious software progs out there for the mac, as there are for the PC, just in far lesser numbers. I almost installed one on my mac (silly me) but a check online narrowly avoided having bad things happen.

No idea about the cause of the itunes thing, just letting folk know there's nasty stuff out there. :)

rgds

F

LDUK

Master Poster
God I hate viruses. I'm good at not getting them though. And I don't ever use Anti Virus software because they all suck. I've used billions, and I have had less virus' without them. I think that's because I'm more carelful. Where as I didn't feel I had to be when I had AV Software.

Gorman

Author Level
God I hate viruses. I'm good at not getting them though. And I don't ever use Anti Virus software because they all suck. I've used billions, and I have had less virus' without them. I think that's because I'm more carelful. Where as I didn't feel I had to be when I had AV Software.

Use MSE, its free and uses 0 resources pretty much:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us

I love it when people say they have no virus' and dont need AV. Most virus' are completely symptom free, your just part of a massive spam bot or bot net!

JMOB

Bronze Level Poster
Yes, Gorman

I heard about someone who had a virus at work and it shut the whole network down.

The administrator was tearing his hair out!

Zeplini

Yes, Gorman

I heard about someone who had a virus at work and it shut the whole network down.

The administrator was tearing his hair out!

hair?

on another note most infections are self inflicted and AV wont help

cjc1984

Bronze Level Poster
Big whoopsie

And thats coming from myself, a mac user of 5 years, who is switching back to windows in the near future.