Gaming Centers Would you use one?

Would you pay to use a Gaming Center local to you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TopCat

i put no, but it depends really im not familiar with the 'big' events, ive heard of them and never been to one because of mostly transport costs etc. But id go to one for a little fun lol ;)

steveuk87

Super Star
sweet! yay haha looks like we may be stuck with the license fee's as our research shows that we may have to pay Microsft and Sony for using their consoles, and our lcoal council and each games company we use! **gulps!**

Steve

Corfate

Author Level
Added you as a friend on Facebook :)

Too far away for me to use, but if the price was good i would be tempted if there was a friendly atmosphere, suitable environment etc :)

NMEBowen

Master Poster
they would have to have a sick connection and currently in the uk only a few major cities can accomadate fibre optics but if something like that was to open apart from needing absolute monster rigs i probably would use one. it would be far better than the onlive service the yanks are bringing to the uk ( pc gamers want a mouse and keyboard not some crappy xbox like controller) but i like the idea of ppl being able to use a crappy old system and still get high end gfx just personally were not as gullable as the yanks and the service has to many flaws so as i said pc gaming cafes would be a win but aslong as they would allow us to bring our far better rigs to them and just use there screens and top end connections.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I wouldn't.They charge you for stuff you have

Thats like going to a racetrack and telling them you dont want to pay for something you can already do on the roads...

...Gaming centres are meant to be a more social thing that sitting in your mum's basement playing on your own, perhaps with a headset to talk to people youve never met.

Or maybe thats just my understanding and im off the mark...

NMEBowen

Master Poster
no i live in my mothers basement (the batcave) and use a headset but i do have lan parties down there and speak to real freinds i grew up with over vent and skype :p

Tracker

Enthusiast
been to one in raleigh years ago, had a massive 8 way game of avp and a few other games, before we went to the MegaZone for laser tag.. good fun then when it was uncommon to have more than 1 pc in a house, nowadays we have several laptops and two desktops / multiple xboxes all linked up via network, and can support more when friends bring their hardware around so i dont think i'd justify it.

Talandra

Tbh, from what I've seen of multiple gaming cafe's popping up in my town during the years here for such a business to actually be successful you NEED to have better stuff than most of the people that would want to go there. There's little incentive to go to a gaming cafe if your own computer is better and your internet faster. A couple of other things that really should be there is a LARGE selection of games, or at the very least the possibility of calling in beforehand and ask to have game A, B and C installed on X amount of computers beforehand if its not already, like if a dude and his 8 pals want to have a massive Civ IV LAN party or whatever.

Now I don't really know how it is in Britain as I've only been there once (London for a week) but at least here in Sweden the theme of going to a gaming cafe for a night with a couple friends is something a lot of people do, when its available. Where its located plays a very big role as well, having it be crammed into a corner of a building for example is a very bad idea, but on the other hand having it in the middle of a very busy area isn't a good idea either, as the outside noise would get rather annoying quickly. As others mentioned, it can't look as if it was originally some dude's garage that's been rebuilt, preferably it should have good lighting, comfortable looking and feeling chairs, big computers (preferably with LED's in them to look more top-end) with a lot of power in them, and the possibility of bringing your own drinks with you, though you may want to forbid or in some way limit alcohol, you don't want too many drunks bumbling about.

Take not though, I'm just a dude at 19 years and haven't one a minute's work in my life yet, but these are my personal observations based on what I've seen from the 8 or 9 different gaming cafe's that have popped up and died in my hometown. Sweden's culture is also more "lenient" towards gamer-types than most other countries (from what I've seen and heard from friends and media) so it might not work as well in Britain, simply because of cultural values.

That said though, every time I've been to an internet cafe it's been a TON of fun, with the one and only negative being that, in games like CoD and such, your internet cafe profile never sustained any progress. Now I don't know how big save files tend to be, but having just one extra HDD for save files on peoples profiles for stuff like your CoD and similar games, makes it more tempting to go back, knowing that your lvl 13 or whatever is going to be there the next time, meaning you don't have to work your way up from Spec Ops each time.

There, that's my rant done. Hope it helps :)

steaky360

I don't think I'd be tempted even if there is/was one near me ... Potentially a "n00b" statement but I wouldn't want to use someone else's PC after only just recently shelling out for my rig and if you need to bring your own... I wouldn't particularly want to have to move mine about. Too much risk. Besides, I've not found any games I play to lack a significant enough online presence and even for the more 'classic games' there is always Hamachi and the likes to get together with friends for a WAN party :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Game Center users can use their iTunes account/Apple ID as their Game Center account or create a new one.

Oh hai new poster with dodgy looking links in sig necroing 8 month old thread. How are you this fine Thursday morning?

steaky360

Oh hai new poster with dodgy looking links in sig necroing 8 month old thread. How are you this fine Thursday morning?

I'm glad they did, I probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise :(. Bah humbug.

Hadn't noticed the dodgy links in the sig though! Tut tut.

Status
Not open for further replies.