Adobe pdf files have the Internet Explorer icons

Bassa

Silver Level Poster
All my pdf files have the IE icon instead of the usual Adobe icon. The files all open and work OK plus downloading pdf's from the web is all OK. The only foible is with email pdf attachments which also only show the IE icon instead of the Adobe one. These attachments will not open directly but on saving them they then open OK.
When I attempt to open the attachment directly from the email I get a security alert panel reading " Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded"
As already stated, once the attachment is saved to PC it opens OK but still has the IE icon.
Any ideas please.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
All my pdf files have the IE icon instead of the usual Adobe icon. The files all open and work OK plus downloading pdf's from the web is all OK. The only foible is with email pdf attachments which also only show the IE icon instead of the Adobe one. These attachments will not open directly but on saving them they then open OK.
When I attempt to open the attachment directly from the email I get a security alert panel reading " Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded"
As already stated, once the attachment is saved to PC it opens OK but still has the IE icon.
Any ideas please.

Security thing is standard tbh, its to stop emails running scripts in the background that harm your computer normally.

As for the wrong icon, when you open the pdfs what do they actually open in? does it open acrobat reader or does it open IE? The reason I ask is becuase if you just have the adobe plugin for IE and not acrobat reader then the default reader for pdf files will be IE, therefore an IE icon.

Bassa

Silver Level Poster
I have Adobe Reader 9. The email pdf attachment once saved to PC will open via "open with" and selecting Adobe Reader 9.4. Also shown in the 'open with' list is IE but that brings up the aforementioned security message. Dowloading and saving a pdf files direct from websites all show bearing the IE icon but they will open normally with a straight double click.
Why do the files bear the IE icon and not the Adobe one?

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
If you do double click on it though, im still unclear as to whether yours lods by default in acrobat reader or IE. I knwo you say with the open with both appear, but if the default when you double click is IE then thats the reason for your icon being IE

Bassa

Silver Level Poster
When I double click on a saved web downloaded pdf file it opens normally although the file shows the IE icon instead of the Adobe one. However, the emailed attached pdf file, again with the IE icon instead of the Adobe one, on double clicking brings up the security settings panel thing mentioned earlier. A right click on the attachment brings up the "save as" option but not the 'open with' one. So after saving the attachment to the PC (Documents) the file again shows with the IE icon but of course a right click then provides the "open with" option.
Prior to getting my new PC all my Adobe pdf files have appeared with the Adobe icon and not the IE one. Even downloading via a different browser they still carry this IE icon. It seems as though I need to get the files to show the Adobe icon and not the pesky IE one - must be a setting somewhere.
Hope that's clear.

Pete

Bright Spark
either you've changed the default application for PDFs to IE (IE can open PDFs) to fix - right click a PDF > Open With > Select Adobe and make sure the tick is in the always use the selected program....

or the icon has gone a bit screwy in which case you can change that - right click a PDF > Shortcut (tab) > Change Icon (button)
here's another forum thread where they do this permanently for a particular file type

hope that helps ?

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
So basically when you double click to open it, it is opening in IE then? (ignore the right click options for the moment, and any security messages).

If so, as Frenchy said, this is why the icon will be an IE icon, cos IE has been set as the default viewer for pdf's, and it'll just need setting to default to using Adobe - follow Petes instructions (I got delayed sending my response by having to do some work :))

Bassa

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for the help, all is OK now following Pete's instructions, all the icons are now Adobe ones. Knew it had to be a simple solution on the settings somewhere.