Spec for running 2 OS simultaneously

johcur

Hi chaps, i looked through this forum. Well done to the guys that spend time giving advice, much appreciated!

I'm looking to build a PC for around the 1000 mark. I run linux (Ubuntu) OS but will also run Windows 8.1 inside a Virtual Machine. I use the Windows 8.1 for Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 and Matlab 2013, which can be CPU intensive and the WINE application in Ubuntu just doesn't cut it. By nature of the virtual machine you have to predesignate max CPU's, RAM etc so the VM will only every run up to 50% of the host machine. Even at that the VM still runs slow due to the overhead of its set up

Now there is a chance I may play some games but not a priority and if that happens I will just use Windows 8.1 as my main OS. My personal view is that although I think I can upgrade at some point, I never really do, (possible exception is RAM / extra disk) Having being using PCs for 20 years, I have just found that it seems better to ditch and start again. Hence a balanced system now would be great!

One other things is that that I'd like to have a quiet PC but its not essential

Feel free to comment as you wish. My main question is that - Should i consider a AMD FX-9370 given I will run a VM?

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 200R COMPACT GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4770 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® Z87-A: ATX, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750 Ti - DVI, mHDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready
[I am running a DELL 30inch monitor DVI connection, 2560 x 1600 if that matters]
1st Hard Disk
250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY
[Actually i just bought a CORSAIR 500W one for my old PC a few months ago so will swap it over]
Processor Cooling
Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
DUAL-BAND WIRELESS 802.11N 450Mbps PCI-E CARD
[I am not sure about this. Only 16 more, but may use my old one]
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 8.1 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 11 to 13 working days
Quantity

T

TheGeeza

If there is a possibility that you might play games with this setup then I would suggest that you choose a better GPU to power that monitor. The 760 would suffice for this resolution at low to medium detail settings or medium to high with no AA. (I mean in games like Skyrim and Saints Row IV etc. Not Crysis)
Also, if you can run a cat6 to your workspace, I would recommend ditching the wireless card and running a wired connection.

Last edited by a moderator:

johcur

thanks Geeza.

Yes I have a Cat 6 cable hardwired but for some reason its recently started acting up. Not sure if the cable or port is kaputt. Keeps dropping connection hence back to the wireless every now and then

Hmm the games is the issue. I was a game nut before but realised I spent WAAAY too much time on them :(

Thoughts in the actual setup?

T

TheGeeza

The setup itself looks good how it is although I personally would go for a larger power supply (650w) just to make sure that future upgrades could be made. However, this is not a necessity and the system will be fine with a 500w.
If you plan on keeping the system as is for a long time then it would definitely be worth upgrading the warranty.

PS. If you enjoy playing games then there is nothing wrong with playing them :) Just sort out certain times of the day in which you are "allowed" to play.
Also,nice monitor. Use to have something like that until the cat pushed it off my desk.

Last edited by a moderator:

johcur

PS. If you enjoy playing games then there is nothing wrong with playing them :) Just sort out certain times of the day in which you are "allowed" to play.
Also,nice monitor. Use to have something like that until the cat pushed it off my desk.

yeah true! I have had this monitor for at least 7 years. Been great! Big enough for a bedroom TV so save buying HD TV.

Spuff

Expert
The 760 would suffice for this resolution at low to medium detail settings or medium to high with no AA. (I mean in games like Skyrim and Saints Row IV etc. Not Crysis)

With my GTX 760 Superclocked I played Skyrim with literally all settings at maximum and it played totally smoothly.
The only games I played where I noticed any lack of fps because I maintained max detail was Crysis 3 (had some anti-stuff on), and just at times on Metro Last Light.
All 1080p.

Last edited:
T

TheGeeza

With my GTX 760 Superclocked I played Skyrim with literally all settings at maximum and it played totally smoothly.
The only games I played where I noticed any lack of fps because I maintained max detail was Crysis 3 (had some anti-stuff on), and just at times on Metro Last Light.
All 1080p.

Yeah at 1080p I'm sure it plays most games perfectly fine but at 2560x1600 it's a totally different experience. Even in games like Skyrim. Nevertheless it's still a beast for the money :) Beats the 670 at 2560x1600 too.

Spuff

Expert
Yeah at 1080p I'm sure it plays most games perfectly fine but at 2560x1600 it's a totally different experience. Even in games like Skyrim. Nevertheless it's still a beast for the money :) Beats the 670 at 2560x1600 too.

Yes, indeed.
Sorry, I didn't spot the reference to more than 1080p.

Last edited: