Odd boot-up sequence after cleaning...

Phube

I cleaned my PC's innards this weekend, first time since November, I'm not a total fool to have touched anything (but then I'm no PC expert either) I used an air blower (designed for camera lenses, not PC cleaning) and a hoover. But I obviously did something, as it failed to boot when I first turned it on?

After a few re-sets, it finally started with no obvious problem, all settings/files/programmes seem fine (to me), but a new screen appears before Windows 7 starts a DOS type page which takes approx 30s-1min to leave.

It has things like: "Intel UMDI, PXE-2.1 (build 003), Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel corporation. This product is covered by patents... etc."

Then: "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.30 (12/24/10)"

Finally: "CLIENT MAC ADDR: F4.............. GUID: xxx..............."

Then: "DHCP.../" -this bit rotates round for the time stated, and then disappears and Windows boots up.

It never did this until Sunday... Have I broken it? :(

EDIT: PC SPEC:
Case COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 BLUE CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5-2500 Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM) 4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
2nd Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
SSD CACHE DRIVE NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply 600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£59)
Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Last edited:

Buzz

Master
DHCP is for assigning dynamic IP addresses to devices on a network.

Click Start type services.msc and press return.

Look down the list to find DHCP Client and right click it. Select Stop. once it stops, right click again and select properties and in the drop down box for startup type select Automatic Delayed.

Restart your computer.

Then click Start, type cmd and right click the cmd and select run as admin.

When cmd box comes up type
ipconfig /flushdns and press return
then
ipconfig /release and press return
then
ipconfig /renew and press return
then last
ipconfig registerdns and press return

Restart comp then go back to

Click Start type services.msc and press return.

Look down the list to find DHCP Client and right click it. Select Stop. once it stops, right click again and select properties and in the drop down box for startup type select Automatic. And restart one last time and hope it helps.

c-hri-s

Bronze Level Poster
I think the DHCP is coming from the network bios boot, not windows - wouldn't recommend you do what for_the_buzz suggests above.

My guess is you nudged the bios battery and have reset the default settings. Someone is going to need to walk you through the bios configuration to get back to what you used to have, and while you're at it disable the network boot rom.

Buzz

Master
wouldn't recommend you do what for_the_buzz suggests above.

Iv done it many many times. Even exact same thing happened when I first installed Acronis. The above worked. Even if it is as you said, doing what I suggested wouldnt hurt. Why wouldnt you do It might I ask????

But you are correct, I read the post as

Then: "DHCP.../" -this bit rotates round for the time stated, and then disappears and Windows boots up.

When I saw it say rotates around I was assuming it was booting to windows already and then hanging.

So yes most likely the Oprom settings in the Bios. Just disable them.

Enter the Bios
Go to Advanced - onboard device configuration
Scroll down to Intel Pxe Oprom and Disable it. Save and restart.

And if that doesnt work then try the other :) :)

Last edited:

c-hri-s

Bronze Level Poster
Only that it wouldn't help the problem (as I read it) .. nothing wrong with what you suggested, didn't mean to infer that :)

Buzz

Master
Only that it wouldn't help the problem (as I read it) .. nothing wrong with what you suggested, didn't mean to infer that :)

Ah cool. lol No worries, was just wondering, as Iv been doing it on and off years so ya kinda had me there :)

Either way.......Wonder if issue was fixed.

Phube

Sorry, as mentioned I'm a PC novice and I'm quite nervous about messing in the bios. I mean how much damage could I do... or is like what you said; quite straight forward?

To be honest I don't really know how to get into the bios... :pinch:

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Best phone tech support,it may be something as simple as restoring bios settings to default,
or it may be more involved.

Phube

Iv done it many many times. Even exact same thing happened when I first installed Acronis. The above worked. Even if it is as you said, doing what I suggested wouldnt hurt. Why wouldnt you do It might I ask????

But you are correct, I read the post as

When I saw it say rotates around I was assuming it was booting to windows already and then hanging.

So yes most likely the Oprom settings in the Bios. Just disable them.

Enter the Bios
Go to Advanced - onboard device configuration
Scroll down to Intel Pxe Oprom and Disable it. Save and restart.

And if that doesnt work then try the other :) :)

Thanks for this.. this is the one that worked (although I wimped out and rang the helpdesk to guide me through it.).

Thanks for all replies again!