creative x-fi not detected in windows 7

alljam

I've had this Windows 7 (home premium) pc since Nov 2010 (PCS order no 362192) and the sound has been fine until now. Suddenly (no updates/changes beforehand I know of) there's no sound. The soundcard is a creative x-fi titanium PCI express. I checked control panel and the device is the default for playback. Tried to run Creative Audio control panel but got an error message, 'The audio device supported by this application is not detected'. I reinstalled the software from the installation cd but this made no difference. I downloaded the W7 drivers from creative's site but the install failed with message, 'setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system'. Is there anything obvious I've missed? I'm not sure what could have caused this other than the hardware failing.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Does look like the sound card has failed,I have the same card & the sound disappears now & again.Going to device manager,right clicking the device,uninstalling then restarting computer always fixes it,worth a try.

Buzz

Master
If you are ok with opening up the PC, you could take out the card and put it back it in.

Shut down the computer and plug out. (You will need to earth yourself to remove static)
Remove the sound card.
Start back up the computer without the sound card,and use something like CCCleaner to clean left over crud
Shut down, Put back in the card, start up and install newest drivers using the Auto update and Internet Explorer Auto-Update

See if that works.

alljam

Thanks vanthus, I uninstalled the driver in device manager & on restart the reinstall was successful so have sound again; problem solved.