1 Long 3 short beeps occasionally on startup?

Hi all,
Just brought PC and has been working fine but every so often when starting up it'll give 1 long 3 short beeps?
Apparently this could mean something is wrong with the graphics card?
Not sure why it's only every so often that this is happening

Thanks.

Rakk

The Awesome
I know with my previous machine, I had something very similar, sometimes on boot it was do the beeps and then turn itself off, sometimes it was fine. After checking the motherboard manual I found that it was GPU related, so I contacted PCS, they went through a few checks with me, including testing it without the GPU and they came to the conclusion it was the GPU, so they sent out a replacement for me (I had it the next day) as I was happy to install the new one myself and from then on no more motherboard beeps.

Did you check the manual for your motherboard to verify what the error code meant, as some motherboards may use different beeps to signify things, or did you just google '1 LONG 3 SHORT BEEP'?
If you just googled it and didn't specify the motherboard and need help finding the info your motherboard (presuming your are a PCS customer - if not we can't really give detailed advice), could you please copy and paste your spec here so we can check :)

I know with my previous machine, I had something very similar, sometimes on boot it was do the beeps and then turn itself off, sometimes it was fine. After checking the motherboard manual I found that it was GPU related, so I contacted PCS, they went through a few checks with me, including testing it without the GPU and they came to the conclusion it was the GPU, so they sent out a replacement for me (I had it the next day) as I was happy to install the new one myself and from then on no more motherboard beeps.

Did you check the manual for your motherboard to verify what the error code meant, as some motherboards may use different beeps to signify things, or did you just google '1 LONG 3 SHORT BEEP'?
If you just googled it and didn't specify the motherboard and need help finding the info your motherboard (presuming your are a PCS customer - if not we can't really give detailed advice), could you please copy and paste your spec here so we can check :)

I think I was looking at the right bios codes but I'm not 100% sure
Spec
Processor (CPU) AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard ASUS® PRIME B450-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM,64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive 256GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1200 MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY

paul1224

I checked your MOBO Manual online but couldn't see beep codes listed anywhere in it.

In my experience the codes you are getting could indicate (for some ASUS MOBO's) a VGA error. Sometimes this can occur when the system boots up, realises no VGA is detected (assume you connect via DVI/HDMI) and the beep codes occur but there is no issue with the system loading.

Could you try booting the PC with the monitor already turned on and see if the beep codes occur? I have seen reports where the beep codes only occur if monitor not turned on as when monitor is on the VGA error is overridden.

Might not be the above but worth a shot.

EDIT: Similar post here that I replied to a little while back, doesn't appear to have been the above issue but might be worth a read through just to compare your issue.

I checked your MOBO Manual online but couldn't see beep codes listed anywhere in it.

In my experience the codes you are getting could indicate (for some ASUS MOBO's) a VGA error. Sometimes this can occur when the system boots up, realises no VGA is detected (assume you connect via DVI/HDMI) and the beep codes occur but there is no issue with the system loading.

Could you try booting the PC with the monitor already turned on and see if the beep codes occur? I have seen reports where the beep codes only occur if monitor not turned on as when monitor is on the VGA error is overridden.

Might not be the above but worth a shot.

EDIT: Similar post here that I replied to a little while back, doesn't appear to have been the above issue but might be worth a read through just to compare your issue.
I think this is it!
With the monitor already turned on there wasn't any beeps but I tried again and disconnected the HDMI from the monitor and the beeps occurred.
Sounds a lot like what you described above, is this any cause for concern?

Rakk

The Awesome
Hopefully it is that, but I'd keep an eye on it anyways just in case :)
Personally I tend to leave my monitors on standby anyways, so I've never experienced that issue before

paul1224

I think this is it!
With the monitor already turned on there wasn't any beeps but I tried again and disconnected the HDMI from the monitor and the beeps occurred.
Sounds a lot like what you described above, is this any cause for concern?

From what I have seen I don't think it is an issue to worry about but as a precaution would be worth speaking to PCS and logging it with them just to see what they say. Alternatively you could speak to Asus direct here.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The beep codes are specific to the type of BIOS you have so you need to confirm which BIOS is installed. In AMI BIOS 1 long 3 short is a memory failure, but in AWARD BIOS 1 long 3 short is a video card not detected error. It's thus essential to be sure which BIOS you have.