1 long beep 3 short beeps NOW 1 long, 2 short

zhk.1128

Hi
When I switched on my pc yesterday, there was 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps and no display on the monitor. Today, I removed the PCIe cable from the gpu and removed all the external cables (power, monitor, keyboard etc.) and then put them all back in. Switched on the pc and now I've got 1 long and two short beeps. Still no display on the monitor. Bought my PC in October 2020. Please help! Thanks
specs as follows:

CaseCORSAIR 275R AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2200 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 550W CV SERIES™ CV-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingSTANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Windows 11

Aza

Rising Star
I think thats a memory error? You should be able to search for motherboard error codes or check your welcome pack for the manual for it, it normally lists them in there.
If it is the memory, try removing both RAM sticks and reinserting them, make sure they are properly seated and the "lock" clip at the top sits in place properly. Then power it up again.

If still the same issue, remove one stick and try it, if same, swap them over and try it. Can also run Memtest to properly check the RAM over.

Regarding the monitor display, check youve got it plugged into the GPU, not the motherboards' port, and try some of the other ports on the GPU (i'm assuming the GPU is powering up when you turn it on and fans spinning? So appears to be working?)
The first code (1 long 3 short) is normally that it cant detect a monitor.

Last edited:

zhk.1128

I think thats a memory error? You should be able to search for motherboard error codes or check your welcome pack for the manual for it, it normally lists them in there.
If it is the memory, try removing both RAM sticks and reinserting them, make sure they are properly seated and the "lock" clip at the top sits in place properly. Then power it up again.

If still the same issue, remove one stick and try it, if same, swap them over and try it. Can also run Memtest to properly check the RAM over.

Regarding the monitor display, check youve got it plugged into the GPU, not the motherboards' port, and try some of the other ports on the GPU (i'm assuming the GPU is powering up when you turn it on and fans spinning? So appears to be working?)
The first code (1 long 3 short) is normally that it cant detect a monitor.
Removed and reseated the RAM sticks (also removed one at a time and swapped them over). 1 long and two short beeps each time I tried any removal/reseating. How do I run a Memtest?

Monitor is plugged into the GPU. I also removed and reinstalled the GPU. Yes, it's powering up and the fans are spinning. I tried using the HDMI port, still no display.

I don't know if it's related to this but two days ago, Windows was updating but there was some power fluctuation so my PC shut down. I started it back up and it continued updating from where it stopped. I logged in easily and played Solitaire for 2 hours before shutting down the PC like always. Next morning, I hear the 1 long, 3 short beeps and no display. Now it's 1 long, 2 short.

Aza

Rising Star
Sounds daft, but have you checked the monitor has power?
Do you have anything else you can try connecting the monitor to so you can make sure it actually works?

Does sound like theres a fault with the RAM sticks, im not sure what would happen if they were both dead, but guessing the system wont load so that could explain the blank screen maybe?

zhk.1128

zhk.1128

Sounds daft, but have you checked the monitor has power?
Do you have anything else you can try connecting the monitor to so you can make sure it actually works?

Does sound like theres a fault with the RAM sticks, im not sure what would happen if they were both dead, but guessing the system wont load so that could explain the blank screen maybe?
I've got my PS4 connected to the same monitor and that seems to be working just fine. It's a RAM issue, the LED for DRAM on my motherboard is lit

zhk.1128

Download the tool from here:

and then install to a USB drive. Needs to run overnight to fully complete. You may need to go into BIOS to change the boot order to ensure it boots from the USB drive
wait, I can't go into BIOS because there's no display

Aza

Rising Star
Im thinking both RAM sticks are dead so the system isnt loading up at all.... ive not been in the position so im unsure if thats what would happen, but explains why a blank screen (at least in my head).

Doesnt there have to be some RAM, even if only a few GB, for the system to load up at all? If both sticks are dead I think thats whats going on,

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Ok, sorry for the instruction list here but this is what I would do.....

Switch the system off (power off via the rocker switch at the back also)
Remove both sticks of RAM.
Connect one stick of RAM in the Channel A slot
Turn on the PC
Check for error

If there's an error, repeat the above only with the other stick of RAM (removing the first entirely)
If there's still an error, repeat the above only using channel B
If there's still an error:

Switch everything off (again, rocker switch as well)
Remove the GPU
Remove any SATA cables or anything like that connected to any drives
Have the motherboard as clear as you can.
Take a picture and post it here.
Ensure that the motherboard CPU (4/6 pin) power is connected (this can cause a number of issues but it's typically referenced in the bios beeps)
Ensure that the motherboard power is connected (Large power connector)
Power on with RAM not in place.
Power off then repeat RAM orientation 4 times as per above.

If none of that indicates the problem. Then either you are incredibly unlucky with 2 RAM sticks being faulty or the motherboard is likely toast.

This is the unfortunate scenario where it could be RAM, Motherboard, CPU or even power. All other potential issues have been eliminated. The latter tests are just ruling out the GPU. You won't get anything on the screen, obviously, but the BIOS beeps would hopefully change to indicate a missing GPU.