1 or 2 Monitors

rlbanks

Hi guys,

My new system will be used for gaming. I am a fan of mainly strategy / management / simulation type games. I am torn between having 2 smaller screens (22" or so) or 1 larger one (around 28-32").

Have any of you any thoughts / experience in this field or what reponse time / dynamic contrast ratio would be sufficient.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Rob.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
For gaming I would say one large screen, but once you go "multi-monitor" you find it very hard to use a PC with a single monitor as the benefits for using programs/email/browsing the web are great.

rlbanks

My thoughts exactly, I think I would like 2 monitors, always good to get as much info as possible during a game as well. It seems more & more games support multi screen these days or at least have an option for it.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Whilst I would like to remain un-biased - I can't live without two monitors. Both my home and office PC's use two, and I've considered three. If it's just gaming, depending on the game, one monitor should be OK. But for work you can have outlook, your browser, Photoshop, etc etc all open at the same time. Makes life easier.

Pontington-Smythe

Whilst I would like to remain un-biased - I can't live without two monitors. Both my home and office PC's use two, and I've considered three. If it's just gaming, depending on the game, one monitor should be OK. But for work you can have outlook, your browser, Photoshop, etc etc all open at the same time. Makes life easier.

Ditto: have 2 at work and 2 at home, when i use the wifes laptop i hate having to open files behind each other, instaed of side by side.

Sleinous

Author Level

Yes, id really like to get another monitor sometime soon too I think. I like the idea of this multitasking

Rakk

The Awesome
Yeah, I now couldn't cope with only one monitor whilst gaming, one screen for my game, one for everything else like a VOIP client (ok, this could stay hidden but I like having it open so I can at least see who's listening to what I'm saying - i.e. making sure I'm not saying something about someone who is listening), combat tracker, browsers and what ever else I feel like.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Hmm well I'd prefer 1 monitor, uses less electricity to run and you get to use the awesome combo that it Alt + Tab :)

Gorman

Author Level
I am also a two monitor kind of guy, although @ Rakk i have found a keyboard or gaming pad like the G13 gives a little display which is great for keeping track of whos talking on vent.

Rakk

The Awesome
Hmm well I'd prefer 1 monitor, uses less electricity to run and you get to use the awesome combo that it Alt + Tab :)

Haha, that's what I thought until I tried two monitors.
Never going back (well, until my monitor power supply goes again).

@Gorman, I can tell who is speaking on Vent, I recognise most of the voices, but some people just listen, and I like to know who's listening to me :)

Gorman

Author Level
It also cycles through the room members when no one is talking or someone joins / leaves etc :p