11.6' Inferno, random crashes on various games

Hello all,

Recently purchased an 11.6' inferno, and was so pleased with it. Works very well, very quick, good looking.

However recently, on certain games (Specifically GTA IV and Ravaged Beta) it has started to randomly crash, and I do not think it is down to it overheating - GPU Clocks in at around 60 degrees a minute before crashing.

Spec :
Nvidia GT650M (2GB)
8GB DDR3 1600MHz Ram
Quad i7's (2.3Ghz)

I do have the arctic extreme thermal paste (Or whatever its called!)

I've updated all the drivers to the latest and no luck.

Researched on the internet and only come to worrying conclusions - Hairline fracture in motherboard or a PSU problem.

** Edit/Update, 1/1/2013: Been overheating for quite a while on various games, even whilst running low settings and using a cooling fan and the air-intake is NOT blocked**

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time
Connor

Last edited:

steaky360

Hi and welcome to the forums!
Does it only crash when playing games? You are right that the GPU is not overheating, have you checked your CPU too (although its likely not to be overheating either).

steaky360

Have you tried running some benchmarks to see if you can stress your PC into crashing (Prime 95, Folding etc.). I would suggest its not a hardware problem as you described (hairline fracture etc.) if you cannot replicate the symptom outside of a game.

Got prime maxing all CPU Cores and threads, and using 50% of the ram, PC isn't heating up or stressing at all.

*Edit: Starting to heat up a bit, showing signs of stress**

steaky360

It will heat up but your laptop was not overheating as such from the temps you posted above. I was suggesting to use Prime / Folding merely to force your CPU / Graphics etc. to work hard and thus 'prove' the hardware had no major issues :).

All I can think of is it may be issues with the specific games you are trying to run. Or is it crashing with all games you've played?

All I can think of is it may be issues with the specific games you are trying to run. Or is it crashing with all games you've played?

Just GTA IV and Ravaged. Guess there are either compatibility issues or driver issues.

Thank you very much for your help!

DiscoFred

Hi, just signed up :)

Did you solve this problem? I think I have the same problem, only with some games Metro 2033 so far and maybe BioShock 2, others are fine.

It happens when I am using an external monitor using HDMI. From the error log codes and google it might be something to do with the two sound drivers. It "seems" to be ok if I disable the sound drivers. And it does not do it when using the laptop screen and no hdmi.

Cheers Neil :)

DiscoFred

Error log shows... Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power, EventID 41, Task 63 ... which when googled suggests a problem with the audio drivers. :)

Been experiencing various overheating problems for quite a while now. Having installed and played more games, it is overheating on about 75% of games I play. I have a Cooling stand cooling it when I play and the air intake is not blocked, yet it still overheats and crashes within 2 minutes. Even on Ghost Recon Future Soldier with all settings low and 1024x768 resolution, it overheats in two minutes.

I also had been playing FIFA 13 for a few days without any troubles - no overheating, the fan barely even revved. However, on one random day when I came to play it overheated and shut-off in two minutes.

Hi, just signed up :)

Did you solve this problem? I think I have the same problem, only with some games Metro 2033 so far and maybe BioShock 2, others are fine.

It happens when I am using an external monitor using HDMI. From the error log codes and google it might be something to do with the two sound drivers. It "seems" to be ok if I disable the sound drivers. And it does not do it when using the laptop screen and no hdmi.

Cheers Neil :)

Hi Neil,

I thought I did but I hadn't. I experience the problem on both the laptop screen and whilst streaming to an external screen. Sound driver doesn't make sense to me as it is the graphics card that is heating up, I may be wrong however.

Cheers

danmid

Been experiencing various overheating problems for quite a while now. Having installed and played more games, it is overheating on about 75% of games I play. I have a Cooling stand cooling it when I play and the air intake is not blocked, yet it still overheats and crashes within 2 minutes. Even on Ghost Recon Future Soldier with all settings low and 1024x768 resolution, it overheats in two minutes.

I also had been playing FIFA 13 for a few days without any troubles - no overheating, the fan barely even revved. However, on one random day when I came to play it overheated and shut-off in two minutes.

Sounds to me like your GPU heatsink may need the thermal paste re-applied.

In terms of Fifa 13, it is possible it wasn't using the GPU but the Intel 4000 integrated graphics chip when it didn't crash... have you tried forcing it use the Nvidia to see if that causes it to crash more consistently? (if that makes sense)?

Sounds to me like your GPU heatsink may need the thermal paste re-applied.

In terms of Fifa 13, it is possible it wasn't using the GPU but the Intel 4000 integrated graphics chip when it didn't crash... have you tried forcing it use the Nvidia to see if that causes it to crash more consistently? (if that makes sense)?

Even though its a recent purchase and I bought the special thermal paste?

I haven't, but I would assume that integrated graphics card wouldn't be able to run Fifa 13 on high settings and high reso?

Thanks for the reply

danmid

You might be surprised - the Intel 4000 is a large leap forward from the old 3000. My colleague has 'just' an Intel 4000 in his new ultrabook and it can run UT3 in 1600x900 pretty darned smoothly with all the gfx settings enabled... don't get me wrong, it's no NVIDIA/other dedicated GPU... but it's pretty impressive for what it is.

In terms of the TIM suggestion, my first PCS machine has yet to arrive so I can't comment on them at all... but I have found from a number of other manufacturers (incl Alienware) that the TIM was wrongly/badly applied causing similar issues. But these are just ideas based on my experience... I could be wrong.

Good luck!