128 gb ram in laptops

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Also, if you’ve adjusted the RAM allocation in after affects it will allocate that memory weather or not it’s being used. I have a suspicion that’s what’s happening here.

If you’ve allocated 64Gb to after effects and are seeing slow downs it’s because you haven’t accounted an allocation for windows.
That's exactly why I want to see the Resource Monitor output, I want to see the difference between the commit size, the working set size and the private size. I also want to see what (if any) page faulting is going on on that system.

It's not just After Effects that allocates as much RAM as it can, Windows does the same thing......

Here it is.
Now if you can explain me hat you see in this numbers, becouse I don`t understand what are you looking for.
2.PNG

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The chart you provided shows how much RAM you need to avoid disk caching. You are completely missing the point of a fast disk cache. A modern day M2 drive will give as near as makes no difference RAM performance when viewing effects. It's the whole reason the M2 drives are such a sensation.

Your memory monitor above shows that you have committed the maximum RAM via the software and that it is currently working with 53GB. It is not using all of the allocated RAM for the process so you are NOT short in RAM.

If you want to go and drop 128GB on your system then absolutely go for it. Just don't convince yourself that it's going to make a blind bit of difference to performance. You ONLY add RAM when you are noticing a performance hit in front of you, not by looking at resource commitments.

After Effects is not using the entire ram because I have told it that it will not do so for the system to be stable.
It is clear that we do not understand each other. What I am looking for is that my render times be shorter so that I can finish the job before. That is:

more ram = less render times.

Low render times = more quality of life.

And that's it.

I will test if with 128 gb of ram it improves my quality of life and if do not work, I will return it.
I'll put here the results just in case someone is interested in.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
You're going to install and use some brand new RAM and try and return it if you don't need it for a full refund? I've not bought individual components before, but will any site actually let you do that??

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
After Effects is not using the entire ram because I have told it that it will not do so for the system to be stable.
It is clear that we do not understand each other. What I am looking for is that my render times be shorter so that I can finish the job before. That is:

more ram = less render times.

Low render times = more quality of life.

And that's it.

I will test if with 128 gb of ram it improves my quality of life and if do not work, I will return it.
I'll put here the results just in case someone is interested in.

I don't believe they will be shorter as the RAM won't be your limitation. The power of the system will be the limitation with regards to rendering. The RAM is used to hold effects prior to processing, as they are processing the RAM is depleted and back filled from the cache on the disk. If you use a separate, and FAST, M2 drive as a cache along with a reasonably quick storage drive for the rendered file to be saved to, this will back fill the RAM and allow the process to be maxed out.

However, go for it. I'm curious to see the magnitude of difference it makes :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
This is a good read. Puts forward my point about the previews and the effects etc while viewing (your chart that shows continuous seconds viewing)..

If you have a fast drive for caching to, it'll work great as long as your computer is powerful enough. The Octane should handle that easily, at least short term until things get toasty. Like I said, AE will use as much RAM as you throw at it, but that doesn't mean it's required. You only need to use it if you have performance issues during previews.

Rendering is a completely different area of the process and nothing to do with the first chart you posted. If you are using any sort of conventional drive, or even older SSD drive, as a working drive then the rendering times will be hampered regardless of RAM. A fast M2 drive makes ALL the difference when scratching from it.... in which case 64GB should be more than enough RAM. You're processor will take longer to process 64GB of data and write it to the disk than an M2 drive will ever take to fill it...... they NEED to be separate drives though, which is the key.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Here it is.
Now if you can explain me hat you see in this numbers, becouse I don`t understand what are you looking for. View attachment 14529

I'll explain these numbers for you because they will help you see how RAM is being used. The Private Bytes is RAM that is being used only by that process and for After Effects it is, as you say, quite close to the max installed. The Commit bytes is the total number of bytes of virtual storage (RAM plus the pagefile) that the process has been given permission (by the Windows memory manager) to use. The Working Set is simply the private RAM bytes used plus the shareable RAM bytes used - it's the total RAM being referenced by this process.

Since the commit size for After Effects (the virtual storage it wants to use) is significantly larger than the working set size (the RAM it is actually using) we know that the Windows memory manager is happy for After Effects to increase its working set, that means that the memory manager does not think that RAM is exhausted, or even under significant pressure.

On the other hand, After Effects is seeing a small but significant hard page fault rate. Those page faults mean that the process is trying to use virtual storage pages that have been paged out to the pagefile. It's unlikely that these pages were stolen as part of the Windows memory manager's RAM management routines however, because you do have some Standby RAM and even some Free RAM and if the memory manager was under pressure to steal pages you'd certainly not see Free RAM at all. That means that After Effects is itself deliberately writing pages out to the page file itself to manage the RAM it has allocated, occasionally it wants a few of those back - hence the hard page faults - but this is something that After Effects itself is doing and is not related to overall RAM management (or shortage).

Since you do have some Standby RAM (these are pages that are no longer in use by any process but which have been left in RAM in case they are needed again) and even some Free RAM (pages that are not allocated to anything) - and that's around 4GB of RAM - it would seem that After Effects is not able to fully use all of the 64GB of RAM that you have installed now. That suggests to me that adding another 64GB will not buy you much improvement in your After Effects performance.

However, you seem determined to do so and I'd therefore ask a favour of you if I may? When you have 128GB of RAM installed and After Effects configured to use as much of it as it can, would you post the same screenshot of Resource Monitor again please? I would be extremely interested to see that. :)