128 gb ram in laptops

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
64GB should be enough, even for 4k I would have thought. Even if not, a fast M2 scratch drive would fill the gap perfectly fine.

Decent editing isn't limited by RAM anymore thanks to the high speed storage options.

I have nvm2 for cache. And ssd as a system disk. Ram is to show what i m doing in Aftereffects in full quality. I use to work with large psd files. It is not as editing work. And believe me, you will notice the difference in render times and in previews.

And just in case that somebody knows: can I install 128 gb of Ram in an Octane VI? There s a 32gb ram sticks in the market, and Octane VI have 4 ram slots, so.... It should work...

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I have nvm2 for cache. And ssd as a system disk. Ram is to show what i m doing in Aftereffects in full quality. I use to work with large psd files. It is not as editing work. And believe me, you will notice the difference in render times and in previews.

The NVME should do fine for previews with it being the cache.... I would have thought.

If the render times matter to you that much then a laptop is definitely not the way to go.

EIN?
Thanks for your s suggestions. But i only need more ram and i think that it is a problem with the relation between ram price versus ram stock. I can explain you if you need it.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Other retailers do offer it with 128GB so I don't think there is too much of an issue. However, this may be BIOS specific and according to other vendors it renders the TB3 port disabled.

It may work out of the box but it may require a BIOS update, only PCS will be able to tell you for certain.

Yes, that's the official information, but in the other hand, they told me that i can not use a 32 gb ram sticks and I have 2 installed and it works perfect.
That s the reason of my doubt about if 128gb will work on it.

I have asked to PCs if 32 ram sticks will work and if I can use 128 gb of ram and they say no for both of my questions... But i have 32 gb stick installed and it works so maybe 128 gb will work. The only thing that remains me is try it, so i will do it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Have you any idea how much RAM you're actually using? In a laptop 128GB sounds like an astonishing waste of money to me.

Sent using Tapatalk

Morning guys.
Here you can find my ram usage rendering in After Effects. As you can see Iim using all of my 64gb of ram, so I need more.
ram 2.PNG
ram 1.PNG

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Morning guys.
Here you can find my ram usage rendering in After Effects. As you can see Iim using all of my 64gb of ram, so I need more. View attachment 14520View attachment 14521

That doesn't mean you need more. After Effects will happily gobble all of the RAM you can throw at it as long as you keep building effects. The key is where you notice a performance issue. After 64GB it spills onto your disk cache, in this instance your described fast M2 drive. That sounds perfectly reasonable to me and should function admirably.

You only throw RAM at a system when it's hampering performance, not because its being used.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Also, if you’ve adjusted the RAM allocation in after affects it will allocate that memory weather or not it’s being used. I have a suspicion that’s what’s happening here.

If you’ve allocated 64Gb to after effects and are seeing slow downs it’s because you haven’t accounted an allocation for windows.