14" Lafite Pro Debian 11 Installation Success

bob26

My 14" Lafite Pro (upgraded to 512GB drive) arrived today and I have installed Debian 11.

I was a little anxious as it has an Nvme drive and there have been booting issues previously reported but I have experienced no unexpected problems.

The machine was ordered with no OS but came with a Windows 10 installation still on from testing. I checked that the machine would boot into Windows before repartitioning.

My first attempt was to install Debian 10 with Gnome. The internal WiFi adapter was not recognised but a Edimax USB adapter worked ok. The installation proceeded without problems but I got an error message ucsi_acpi PPM init failed on boot. I assumed this was due to Debian 10 using an old kernel (4.19). I reinstalled without Gnome and the system booted successfully. I then upgraded to Debian 11 and installed Gnome and the iwlwifi drivers. The system booted into Gnome and I was able to set up the internal WiFi.

It is currently being used by my wife and she seems very happy with it so far and everything seems to be working.

I haven't installed the Tuxedo keyboard drivers yet but will have a go at this at the weekend.

I can't fault PCS with this order. I found the order process very good, the order progress reporting excellent and delivery by DPD was very good. The production time was 22 days.

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
Good news, thanks for posting. With the large number of 'nix distros based on Debian it is good to hear.

bob26

I also installed the linux-firmware package from non-free after getting i915 missing firmware messges.

My wife has been using this now for the past 24 hours and she is very happy with it and everything has to be perfect for her to be happy. She was previously using OS X on a MacBook Air and had got used to that. The switch to the Lafite with Debian 11 + Gnome has been painless.

jerome_jm_martin

Bronze Level Poster
hi,

glad to hear this.

could you check in the bios if yours is set to Ahci mode ? if i recall correctly the lafité pro was harcoded to raid mode only.

I think lots of nix users would be very much interested with this information.

J.

Pengwyn44

I also installed the linux-firmware package from non-free after getting i915 missing firmware messges.

My wife has been using this now for the past 24 hours and she is very happy with it and everything has to be perfect for her to be happy. She was previously using OS X on a MacBook Air and had got used to that. The switch to the Lafite with Debian 11 + Gnome has been painless.
Please advise details of the non-free firmware package.