1440p Curved 144hz 27inch Monitor

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
No freesync on that one. Assuming it's for gaming, which I'm assuming from the 144hz bit, freesync (adaptive sync) is a must these days.

Have a look at some options here:

mjhcon

Thank you for the extremely detailed breakdown - I will for sure be going with a freesync monitor (or Gysnc), but won't be going with curved anymore. I'll let you know what I go with (y)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
There are quite a few curved monitors on there with freesync / gsync compatible, or you just went off curved? :)

mjhcon

There are quite a few curved monitors on there with freesync / gsync compatible, or you just went off curved? :)

Well I was fairly set on the Samsung, but the price has just got from 249 to nearer 300, seems to be the same with lots of other monitors. The must haves are 27 inch, 1440p and VESA. Idealy I'd like 120/144hz, but I don't play shooters - so not sure if I really need Adaptive or this high framerate. Tearing my hair out!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You want the higher refresh rate.

1) There's not much point buying the system you're buying if you bottleneck the performance with the monitor

2) Higher refresh isn't just for a competitive advantage in shooters, it make smotion look and feel more fluid in all games and the reduced input lag also makes the game a bit more 'responsive'

3) If you were playing competitive shooters, you'd probably play with adaptive sync turned off due to the minuscule amount of input lag it generates, and playing with uncapped fps to try to shave a millisecond off input lag from the higher fps...
For casual gamers, adaptive sync eliminates tearing and reduces stutter, just making games visually nicer to play.

4) refresh rate is tied to adaptive sync range. I explain it in the guide I think but high refresh rate monitors have Low Framerate Compensation where if the framerate falls outside of the Freesync range, the monitor can double up the frames to keep the sync going. As long as the monitor supports double the frames.

So if you get a 1440p 75hz monitor with a freesync range of 48-75hz (typical range). You fall to 47fps or less, you get tearing.

With a 144hz monitor, the range will go to 144hz. So if it was 48hz to 144hz, and you fell to 47fps, the system could double up to 94fps and keep the sync going. Also some 144hz monitors have native freesync ranges that reach lower than 48hz anyway.

So it's a smoother experience all round. And appropriate to the spec you're buying.