15.6" octane iii ?

jwhitmore

I guess that the question is obvious given the location of this post. I'm looking for a high end Linux laptop, about 15", and I thought that the OCTANE III might fit the bill. There's a bit of a risk I guess of getting a windows laptop which has not been tested with Linux. The safer bet might be System-76 but a US keyboard and 110Volt power supply would put me off. Then there's Entroware but their high end kit is in a refresh loop where they've stopped shipping and they're working on the brand new high end kit.

There might be a question as to what I mean by high end. I'm a developer but I want to do a lot of Video work as well, and I want to future prof it and get a laptop which can address 64GB of Ram even if I'll only want 32GB at the moment.

Has anybody ever install Linux on this machine?

Stephen M

Author Level
It could depend on which Linux distro you use as the seventh gen CPU will need the latest, or almost latest, kernel. I have put various distros on three PCS laptops, including the first Octane (i7 4790 CPU) and only had any real problems with with my Optimus but that was down to the GPU (GTX 960) and that caused problems with many distros. The seventh gen CPUs certainly work OK with Ubuntu and other distros, the main problems have been getting the right nvidia driver for the GPU. I would suggest choosing the spec you want and then doing a search for Linux + the individual components, there is quite a lot of info about