15,6" RECOIL IV vs 15,6" PROTEUS VII ?

DAS

Hi all,
which one is better in terms of build quality (body, chassis )?
Recoil says : Aluminum Chassis
Proteus : Brushed Aluminum Cover

Both of them will have the same specs and that's :
i7 10875H Processor (i was going for the Ryzen 9 but its slower than the i7 in single core performance)
32 gb 2666 RAM (can i install faster ram????)
RTX 2070

Thank you

FerrariVie

Super Star
Regarding the build quality, from what I know "Aluminium cover" is just the screen lid cover, while "aluminium chassis" is most (if not all) of the laptop. I'm not sure if the latter has the bottom cover also in aluminium, but the palm rest and area around the keyboard definitely are. So regarding build quality, I believe that the Recoil is better.

The Recoil also has a Thunderbolt 3 port, bigger battery, per-key RGB mechanical keyboard and a 240Hz screen, so in general, I think that it is the better laptop overall.

Regarding the RAM, I'm not sure. Even if you manage to install faster RAM, intel chips will allow a maximum of 2933, so I believe that the difference will be minimal and not worth the risk of giving it a try and losing part of your money (in case it doesn't work).

DAS

Regarding the build quality, from what I know "Aluminium cover" is just the screen lid cover, while "aluminium chassis" is most (if not all) of the laptop. I'm not sure if the latter has the bottom cover also in aluminium, but the palm rest and area around the keyboard definitely are. So regarding build quality, I believe that the Recoil is better.

The Recoil also has a Thunderbolt 3 port, bigger battery, per-key RGB mechanical keyboard and a 240Hz screen, so in general, I think that it is the better laptop overall.

Regarding the RAM, I'm not sure. Even if you manage to install faster RAM, intel chips will allow a maximum of 2933, so I believe that the difference will be minimal and not worth the risk of giving it a try and losing part of your money (in case it doesn't work).
Hi Fevieira, thanks for the reply. Do you have any comments regarding the i7 10875h and Ryzen 9 3900 / Ryzen 7 3700x?
I will use the laptop for 3d modeling and rendering. The 3d Lumion rendering requires single core performance along with a good GPU.

what i found so far:

Ryzen 9 3900 (i think its desktop, i cant find anything in laptop)
CPU Mark :30870 Single Thread Rating: 2648

Ryzen 7 3700x (i think its desktop, i cant find anything in laptop)
CPU Mark : 22825 Single Thread Rating: 2690

i7 10875h (laptop)
CPU Mark : 15939 Single Thread Rating: 2840

the reason i got confused is that i don't know if the small difference in single thread will actually make a difference in all of them
If not then i will definitely choose the Ryzen 9.

Any thoughts?

FerrariVie

Super Star
Actually, the Ryzen 7 3700X has better single core performance than the Ryzen 9 3900, as it has slightly better all core boost clocks. In my opinion, the single core performance of the 3700x should be pretty close (if not better) than the 10875H, while being a lot better on multi-thread. Try to search for cinebench R20 scores for those CPUs... never trust only one source and one type of benchmark.

If you need single-core performance, I think the 3700x is indeed the better option (unless your app performs better with Intel chips).

FerrariVie

Super Star
Another thing that I want to add is: Do you understand what it means to have those Ryzen CPUs in a laptop and what the Nova actually is, with its advantages and drawbacks?

So you're right, both the 3900 and 3700x are desktop CPUs and the only PCS laptop that supports an AMD desktop CPU is the Nova. Whenever you have that setup (desktop CPU inside a laptop chassis), it's what is called DTR (desktop replacement).

The advantages are:
  • Close to desktop performance inside a portable (or kind of) device;
  • Better thermal solution, to support a more power-hungry CPU;
  • The CPU can be easily replaced in the future, just like a desktop. For now, the Nova supports any AMD zen2 CPU with 65W TDP: 3100, 3300x, 3600, 3700x, 3900;
Drawbacks:
  • Heavier and thicker than usual thin-and-light laptops (it has 2.7Kgs) and the power brick is also a bit heavier than usual, as it can provide up to 230W (almost same level as mid-tier desktop PSUs);
  • The better thermal solution means more heatpipes, but also means that the fans can spin up a lot faster than usual (up to 6500RPM) to cool the hardware components. And the result of this is... Noise, lots of. However, when you're idle or just browsing it will be fairly quiet, especially if you use the provided software to switch between the different power profiles and select quiet mode. However, changing to entertainment or performance modes and having a heavy workload (like gaming, rendering, etc), the fans will get really loud. But that's the price to pay in order to get the best performance in a "small-sized" device;
  • Battery life is quite poor. Think of it as a UPS that will get you through a power outage for about an hour on light usage. It's basically enough time to move it around your house and grab the power brick to plug it in again on the new location. It's not that the battery is small (it has 62Wh, which is a decent capacity), the problem is that the desktop CPU paired with a dedicated GPU (no integrated GPU available here) are very power-hungry.

Reactions: DAS

DAS

WOW , thank you for all the information and the time you spend to help me out. To be honest I didn’t know that a desktop cpu can be installed in a laptop. I always thought that the make them different due to the size of the machine. Since you know so much I really need your honest and personal opinion. I use my laptop for Cad and 3D programs. I use Autocad and Rhino for 2d and 3D and then I use Vray , Lumion or Twinmotion for rendering. Please check the 3 laptop setups that I have in mind and tell me which one you would go for. Price wise they are near. They range from 1350 to 1550 so not much of a difference. In terms of look or battery I don’t care . I need something that can give me the best performance :

OPTION 1: ryzen 9 3900 or Ruben 7 3700x
Nova Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12 Core CPU (3.1GHz-4.3GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)

OPTION 2
Recoil Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 240Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)

OPTION 3

Chassis & DisplayProteus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)
Again thank you for your time!!!

FerrariVie

Super Star
No worries! I know a lot about the Nova (and a few other laptops in that price range) because I did lots of research before deciding to buy mine back in September.

I do like the Recoil a lot and didn't get one myself because it was above my budget. But what got my attention was the aesthetics and build quality, not performance. On the other hand, the Nova is an all-plastic plain-looking laptop (still sturdy due to the thickness) that won't draw any attention to it (well, maybe just a bit because of the thickness? :D ), but when thinking about pure performance, it is the best laptop you can get between £1000-1500. If the budget was around £2000-2500, then the 17.3" RECOIL IV is the best laptop (DTR) that PCS has to offer, with up to an Intel desktop i9 10th-gen and RTX 2080 super. But it weights almost 4Kgs and you would need to use/carry 2 power bricks.

I don't do any rendering or CAD work, so unfortunately I cannot help you to decide what laptop is better for your usage. In general, I would choose the Nova and if single-core performance is what you're looking for, I would prefer a 3700x over the 3900.

DAS

Hi everyone,
Am trying to setup a laptop for my company and I got a bit confused on the CPU choice. The system will have 32gb ram, rtx 2070 and for the CPU am between :
Ryzen 7 3700x
Ryzen 9 3900
Intel i7 10850H

I don't care about the looks, I need a powerful machine to deal with renders and cad programs. I know most of the job is based on the GPU but as I understand ryzen are desktop cpus and it makes me think that they might suit me better than the i7.

I will be using Lumion, Rhino, Vray and twinmotion.
Any thoughts?
Thank you!!!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi everyone,
Am trying to setup a laptop for my company and I got a bit confused on the CPU choice. The system will have 32gb ram, rtx 2070 and for the CPU am between :
Ryzen 7 3700x
Ryzen 9 3900
Intel i7 10850H

I don't care about the looks, I need a powerful machine to deal with renders and cad programs. I know most of the job is based on the GPU but as I understand ryzen are desktop cpus and it makes me think that they might suit me better than the i7.

I will be using Lumion, Rhino, Vray and twinmotion.
Any thoughts?
Thank you!!!
Can you post your full proposed specs from the order page?

DAS

Can you post your full proposed specs from the order page?

I just need some feedback on the CPU in order to choose the right specs. For sure I will have 32gb ram and the RTX 2070. I just need to decide which processor is better from the three I mentioned... Then I will add it to my selection and upload the specs.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If it's for the CAD related build above, then so long as you're ok with the drawbacks of a DTR (desktop replacement), the 3900 absolutely smashes anything else in the Nova.